Thread: 2 members with nonstock gauges!

Vehicle
    Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EX 1986

Exclamation 2 members with nonstock gauges!

How i can replace arrows on my gauges? I afraid to broke it... You just pull it?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Hold on *mike runs outside to pulloff the needle from the guage*
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Ok there is a small pin... like a sewing needle that holds the guage arrow.

pull the arrow out towards you...

oh don't pull on the white part (arrow)... pull on the black part.

the arrow has a long plastic tube. below it... the tube is what the needle sticks into. thats all i can see.
    - llia

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    Originally posted by A20A1
    Hold on *mike runs outside to pulloff the needle from the guage*

" mike came back with a needle in his **** "

:lol :flipa:

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    when i did indiglo gauges on my car i thought about replacing with arrows from 4 gen accord. so i practised on junk yard accords.
    well, tach and speedometer arrows comeout good but fuel and temperature came out with a pin everytime.
    i don't know why.
    so be very careful about fuel and temperature arrows.
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi A/T
    Shepard, where did u get hte indiglo guages from for a 3G?

did u make em yourself or buy them ? does anyone know where we can buy guages for 3g ?

thanks...
    later !

Vehicle
    Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EX 1986
    vtec11, you can order indiglo gauges at
    http://www.procarparts.com

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi A/T
    they don't have em for an automatic.

later !

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    just cut a slot for the gear selection window on the guage... thats the only difference between manual and autop guages.
    - llia

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    If I don't make guages myself, I plan on getting those reverse indiglo guages that light up the numbers and not the background.

Does anyone know if cutting a hole for Automatics would adversely affect these guages at all?

Thanks

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    well if you don't cut the hole then you won't see which gear you are in... unless you look down at the shifter.

The manual guage will cover this:

P
    R
    N
    D4
    D3
    - llia

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    here is what i did.
    when i was putting indiglo gauges i had to get a new fuel and temp gauge. so after removing one i find out that it is broken. i had to get another one from junk yard. i got fuel and temp gauge for automatic.
    after i installed i removed all the light bulbs on the back. except two in the middle to light up the odometer.
    at night nothing lights up except numpers.
    i don't think it is wise decision to cut the hole in the gauge for the automatic. there are electrical stuff in side the indiglo gauge. that is why it is lights up.
    Plus why do you need to see what gear are you in with automatic. you can look at the shifter if you want to. plus people with auto you should know how many clicks does it take to get to D or R.

P.S. you don't need to remove the arrows when installing the indiglo gauges.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1989 corolla all-trac wagon
    if you want to remove the arrows, you can try using two flathead screwdrivers to pry very carefully on either side of the arrow. make sure to keep equal pressure though or else you'll snap that pin. the first time i redid my gauges i took the arrows off using this method and they all came off with no trouble. however, when you go to put them back on, drive around with the fuel/temp arrows off first until your car is at normal operating temperature (also go fill your tank up) and then while the car is still on push the needles back on pointing where they should be (full gas and normal temp)
    3geez member since January 28, 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda accord DX
    Originally posted by A20A1
    well if you don't cut the hole then you won't see which gear you are in... unless you look down at the shifter.

The manual guage will cover this:

P
    R
    N
    D4
    D3

My Buddy guyver says his say

P
    R
    N
    D
    M1
    M2

LXi User
    Vehicle
    accord HB ( metallic green)
    after you pop the temp/fuel needles off to you have to re adjust the gauges or are they still going to be accurate ? If the pins move a liitle bit wouldn't they be off ?
    89 efi conversion
    17" katana, lude arms, full 2" exhaust/hollowed cat, Ractive intake, centerforce dual friction, msd coil/wires

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 SE-i Coupe
    yes if the pins move the gauges will be off unless you get the needles exactly back where they were on the pins. But like shepherd79 said, if using the procarpart gauges you do not have to remove the needles. I just put a set on my SE-i 2 weeks ago and you CAN get them on without removing the needles. Just be careful.
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    89 Accord LX-i Coupe

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord
    When I pulled my needles off it was a bit of a pain....

The speedo and Tach come out east. I just used needlenose pliers and pulled evenly on bot sides of the round part and it slid out nice... just squeeze to hard or you'll scratch the plastic.

When putting the needle back in, its tough to get it accurate again. you can put it pointing to 0 but I was off quite often. I went for a drive and reinstalled the needle a little bit at a time to get it accurate to my GPS speed reading. The tach is not as sensitive so you just get it as close as possible. every car is diff but I believe I adjust the speedo to be as close to where it was which was 3000rpm @ 3rd gear @ 80km/h. But every car is diff.

TEMP AND FUEL GAUGE.......honestly, if I could go back in time I would have just not touched it. I woulda slipped the white face over top of the stock face without touching or removing needles.

When I pulled the needle for fuel guage it busted.... they are incredibly sensitive... and when you put the needle back in, it don't work no more..... I have done this with two diff gauges, and when you reinstall the needles the gauge was useless... no idea why.... anyways, read the how-to on my website I had some other recommendations as to how to go about it. Even worse is that if you bust your fuel/temp gauge I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to find a replacement. I have tried literally 8-9 diff gauges from 3g accords but none of em' work properly... you HAVE to find the EXACT car that you own and replace it with it.... I don't know what its like where you are but I couldn't order mine from the dealership cuz they don't stock em' no more.... and they are ridiculously expensive....

anyways, that my 2 cents worth, hope it helps. I'm sure other have had better luck than me with the fuel/temp guage but its an ongoing battle.....

BTW, I removed the factory faceplates completely when I did mine, I never left em' in...... After about 6 months I have found that the bulb in the middle of the cluster is making the gloss peel and paper burn cuz its to hot against the speedo.... I'm gonna redo mine and remove those bulbs and only use the ones about the instrument cluster...... not behind it..
    CoAsTeR

88' Honda Accord LX
    www.coastersride.cjb.net
    Visit my website for pics and how-to's