Thread: hey jim

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX

hey jim

if i go with some coilovers like dropzone or arospeed and then used revalved billsteins i should be okay right?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Yeah, that would be fine.

I'm going to revist the valving specs (for coilover applications).

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    do you mean your going to get the billsteins valved for coilover applications??? I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out with that to get them set up for some dropzones. I plan on using this vehicle as my project car and i want to be able to raise it back up in the winter thats why i want the coilovers instead of springs.

thanks man

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by NOAHS88accord
    do you mean your going to get the billsteins valved for coilover applications??? I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out with that to get them set up for some dropzones. I plan on using this vehicle as my project car and i want to be able to raise it back up in the winter thats why i want the coilovers instead of springs.

thanks man
    No exactly, I'm going to talk to Jack at Bilstein and find out what can be done to tighten the valving over what he has already recommend (the specs I used for my revalved Bilsteins). Bobafett (aka Chris) did not get good results when using my old revalved Bilsteins with Ground-Control coilovers. I think I know why, but part of me suspects that the valving might need to be different for the type of springs found in coilover springs (and some reg lower springs). I also want to find out the specs Bilstein uses for 4th gen Bilstein Sport struts.

In short, I want to find out what specs to use for coilovers, so when anyone buys the struts, they know the best revalving spec's to ask for. And theirs another reason for doing this, I had my Bilsteins revalved for the same coilovers Chris tried. I don't like the thought that they might not have worked for me either. They were awesome with my H&R springs though.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    Jim,

I see now what you meant, yeah if you figure out anything email me cause i want to go that route using some dropzone coilovers and those revalved billsteins.

I could actually email someone with this question if you want, i just need an email address that way they will realize more than one person is interested.

thanks for all the help man

Noah

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Well it would be nice if Bilstein or Koni for that matter had email. You gotta call and usually you get the guys voice mail in like ONE ring,............GRRRRR

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Yeah I plan to get ground controls so that would help a lot if you get those specs Jim.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    do ground controls for the 90-93 accords work? or just the ones designed for the 86-89?

Vehicle
    Well Ground control makes them for our cars so I don't see why you would want to get them from a 90-93.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    on ebay you can find ground controls for 90-93 for around 200 compared to 300 and up for 86-89, so i was wondering if the 90-93 would fit, im tryin to save money this way

Vehicle
    I see now.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    so well the 90-93 fit ???

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    I'd get ground controls because they use eibach springs. It'd be worth the extra money. I have Eibach springs and I love them.

The only way you'll know if they fit is......well...... if they fit.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    so well the 90-93 fit ???
    Yes.

Yes they use Eibach springs, but it's a totally different spring vs what eibach use's for it's lowering springs. E.R.S. springs (Eibach Race Springs, which are linear not progressive). And thankfully Eibach doesn't have anything to do with setting the spring rates that Ground-Control use's. If fact when you order your GC's direct you can pick your spring rates for the 3g at no extra charge.

Vehicle
    So we can buy 90-93 accord ground controls and they will fit on our 3geez? I don't quite understand the picking the spring rates though.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    so lets say we find some for a 90-93 on ebay!

Jim, your saying that they will work?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Yes they'll work, other 90-97 4th gen coilovers work, theirs no reason why these can't to. If theirs any differance it'll likely show up in not being able to hit as much as a absolute low when dropping to the maximum possible drop. So if the 3g GC's can do a 3.5" max drop, the 4th gen GC's might do a max drop of 3" or 2.5". And even that is a maybe, they might be both the same. Only way to pin anything down on that is to call GC and pick their brain, they might not have a answer however. Obviciously if you don't plan on dropping that low, you shouldn't even think about it.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    So we can buy 90-93 accord ground controls and they will fit on our 3geez? I don't quite understand the picking the spring rates though.
    GC will let you pick a different spring rate at not extra charge when you buy their coilovers directly from them. They come standard with 350lbs front 250lbs rear. You could go either way. Softer at 300lbs front 200lbs rear. or
    350lbs 350lbs (some people do this to kill off understeer)
    400lbs 325lbs (this is around what I wanted to go to)

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1988 HONDA ACCORD LX
    jim,

so with the revalved billsteins, what spring rates do you recommend to ask for from GC?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    jim,

so with the revalved billsteins, what spring rates do you recommend to ask for from GC?
    Out of the box I think they went with excellent spring rates. I don't think most people would need to get something different. If someone wanted to do a adjustable drop without so much firmness I'd say go with 300lbs front 225lbs rear. If someone was going to really push the car hard allot, for fun or on the track I'd recommend 400lbs-450lbs front 300lbs-350lbs rear. Once could bo stiffer, but jezz that would be pretty hard to live with on the street.

Again I think their pretty good out of the box.

Vehicle
    So the 90-93 GC's will drop close to the same as for the 3g ones. I only really want a 2" drop maybe a 2.5" Will I have to adjust the camber everytime I adjust the ride height? Or does it adjust on its own?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    So the 90-93 GC's will drop close to the same as for the 3g ones. I only really want a 2" drop maybe a 2.5" Will I have to adjust the camber everytime I adjust the ride height? Or does it adjust on its own?
    If all you'll want is a max drop of 2.5", I just can't see why you can't use any of the 90-97 coilovers. Just keep in mind that one's make by someone other than GC are likely to be much stiffer.

At any drop, your camber changes. Up to 1.5" I just can't make an issue for lifting a finger (to your wallet that is) to change it. But drop lower than 1.5" and you really need to address the camber issue's in the front. On the rear, members have been split 50-50 on wheather rear camber needs to be changed. You will have to judge the need for rear camber correction yourself.

Vehicle
    Jim I will only get GC's and I will get at least the front camber kit for now. I'm not that smart on suspension, but I know the basics. And I can't wait to put my LX-i sway bars on!!! I hope its a noticable difference. My strut bar was a big difference.

I'm going to start looking for GC's now.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
    Well it would be nice if Bilstein or Koni for that matter had email. You gotta call and usually you get the guys voice mail in like ONE ring,............GRRRRR
    Is Gordon not the right guy to contact at Koni? I could get you his email address if you like. He was quick to respond to me after I emailed him.
    Mike

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
    Is Gordon not the right guy to contact at Koni? I could get you his email address if you like. He was quick to respond to me after I emailed him.
    Yes, please. I don't have any questions for godon right now, but I know I will in a couple months. Thanks