Thread: Any comments on brake upgrades?

Vehicle
    91 GSX - 89 Si - 87 DX

Any comments on brake upgrades?

I'm in the process right now of giving my girl a complete upgrade of the braking system. From NOPI, I'll throw on some Brembo drums (not really an upgrade, but..ya' know..), and PowerStop shoes for the rear. I've been looking around on the front and I think I'll settle on EBC Greenstuff for my pads, I know a few people that have used them. I think I'll try out their rotors as well, cross-drilled/slotted. NOPI offers only a c'drilled or a slotted rotor, but not both.

Just curious if anyone can comment on these mods done to their 3g, not done to a friend's car. Things change car to car, for example my O'Reilly's pads are loud as shit, but fine on my friend's car. So please just comments of the mods done to the 3g. Thanks.

P.S. Dont throw advice out for my loud pads lol. They are $10 pads, and I dont think you can tell me anything I wont know (ASE-certified, Tech for a dealership).

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Well for disc just go with slotted, the cross drilled have a tendency to crack and for pad get AEM. I'm in the process of doing an 89 Se-i brake swap on my car and I need to get all new disc and pads.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    Am I the only person that thinks maybe this should go in the suspension section?
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Vehicle
    Originally posted by toastyghost
    Am I the only person that thinks maybe this should go in the suspension section?
    Yea it can work in both sections but it can seem out of place in both so most noob tend to put in Performance.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    The EBC rotors are not drilled, they're dimpled and slotted (at least the ones that I'm familiar with). Jim ran them with the green stuff pads on his hatchback and noticed an improvement. You may want to PM him to get the details.
    Mike

Vehicle
    87 LX
    It sounds like a good plan, about the best you can do short of a rear disc swap.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    Originally posted by kroy
    It sounds like a good plan, about the best you can do short of a rear disc swap.
    Yea that is what I'm doing right now. I'm going with Brembo slotted disc and AEM pads.

Originally posted by AZmike
    The EBC rotors are not drilled, they're dimpled and slotted (at least the ones that I'm familiar with). Jim ran them with the green stuff pads on his hatchback and noticed an improvement. You may want to PM him to get the details.
    The dimpled won't do any harm like the cross drilled will. Something about the cross drilled is they usally tend to crack under hard driving. So if you plan on autocrossing and drive your car hard they are usally not recomeded. Under normal driving as in driving it like an old lady they will be less likely to crack.

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    I have ebc greenstuff pads with my se-i swap and they do tend to be noisy at first but they will eventually get quiet...I just have normal rotors for now but I am looking into some ebc rotors or brembos...drilled rotors get all kinds of negitive comments about strength and cracking but it all depends on the maker...personally I have never seen a BAD drilled rotor...the only rotors that I have seen crack were AEM drilled rotors...but they had been on the car for over a year

Vehicle
    91 GSX - 89 Si - 87 DX
    WTF, this is over three months old, why the !@&#@! did this get brought back up. And no, why would it be under Suspension? Just because most classify Brakes/Suspension together? Not my fault, quit getting anal.

And thanks for the replies guys, only three months late...now that I am no longer caring since I got the DSM...

Vehicle
    Crap I didn't even see the date. I just say that there was no replies and responed thinking that is was new. ???????