Thread: Show Struts

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord

Show Struts

Ok i know it been said and said and said that theres nothing left to buy but billsteins revalved for our cars, but what if you just want to have your car for show and occasianal driving. Dont forget the safety matter.

BTW - lookin at adjustable coilovers for springs but not sure which ones. Suggestions welcome.
    -=MIKE=-

Updated progress on my car weekly here-> http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=383034

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    What you want runs the risk that you might spend money and have something that you can't stand to drive. Coilovers will show weak struts true lack of ride quality and performnce, more than just lowering spring will. But to try and give you the answer you want I'll try this.

What coilovers to run, you've got a catch with this one.

Do you get the cheapest one's, the DropZone's at $99 even though they are extreamly stiff and will worsen the ride quality issues even more? Or do you spend more money and get softer coilovers, from Ground-Control for $339. Since the GC's are softer than the DropZone's, they won't have as much ride quality issues, but make no mistake, even with them, you might hate how the car is on weak struts. We have several members that tried to run coilovers on weak struts that paid money for, only to hate it so much they spent even more money on Koni's to get the car right.

1. Coilovers on stock struts
    This will lower your $$ risk, cause you haven't spent money on struts that I know can't control the coilovers. But, all the bad behavior and lessioned performance is their at their highest degree. Meaning this would be the worst setup

2. Coilovers with Tokico H.P.'s since their slightly stiffer than stock struts, for around $240 you would improve on the stock struts. But as mentioned above you run the risk that you won't like the ride and drive quality. And if you can't stand it you'll have to figure out how to get back the $240 you spent on the struts. And I'll point out that we have a member that has the Tokico/DropZone combo that is reporting that he has a issue about hard cornering.

Vehicle
    90 Nissan 240sx coupe
    Check out Tirerack.com for Konis. I have my two fronts currently in shipping, and the rears are still processing, but I just ordered them last night.

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    You're getting Konis?!?! SWEET! Congrats. Now just a 5spd conversion after some lowering springs!!! And did you get headers yet?

Alex

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    I wish i had $400+ to spend on new struts..........
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    I STILL have tokicos in my trunk that I need to put in, but I bought all 4 for $90 (used). That's going to have to be good enough ( and it will be).

Alex

Vehicle
    90 Nissan 240sx coupe
    Haha...I have the best roommate in the world. He loaned me $375 so I could get the struts. I'm probably gonna buy boba's H&R's, so that'll be nice. Alex, did you need a camber kit? boba said no, but I thought I'd ask around a bit just to be sure.

As far as headers, Juan's distributor quit business, otherwise I'd have those instead of struts. Oh well. It's better that I got Konis anyways, cause I'll be able to get the DC header later when I have more money.

PS - Alex...talked to NXRacer, I might meet up with you guys friday night. It all depends how fast I can get my mom's deck torn out! So hopefully I'll see you guys then.

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    Yeah you should come! It would be a mini meet...i'll bring all my cameras. Will be fun.

And you don't need a camber kit with the H&Rs since they only lower 1.5 inches. Any lower and you would. (maybe for just the right side of your car, since it sags lol).

Alex

Vehicle
    90 Nissan 240sx coupe
    Hahaha...yeah...I should probably just get the right side Prelude arm....:lol

I'm gonna try my best to make it man. How long you think it takes to get from Hillsboro to Salem? And where is it that we're meeting?

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    Hillsboro to Salem is about an hour, maybe a few minutes more. I forgot you lived in hillsboro, that's where my dad lives. We were just going to meet downtown or something..or I could give you directions to my house and you could come by and then we could go meet NXRacer.

Alex

Vehicle
    90 Nissan 240sx coupe
    I can make it in an hour I'm actually living in Corvallis this summer, but I'm going home this weekend for the deck and fair, so that's why I'll be in town. Just PM me w/directions to your place...maybe just the address and I'll mapquest it

Sorry Osiris for taking over your thread!! But I am getting Konis , so it's okay, right? :lol

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord
    Originally posted by cdscowboy
    I can make it in an hour I'm actually living in Corvallis this summer, but I'm going home this weekend for the deck and fair, so that's why I'll be in town. Just PM me w/directions to your place...maybe just the address and I'll mapquest it

Sorry Osiris for taking over your thread!! But I am getting Konis , so it's okay, right? :lol
    Its cool. As usual Jim clears it up with a quickness and saves the day! Hes like super-pimp :pimp: or something! :lol
    -=MIKE=-

Updated progress on my car weekly here-> http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=383034

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord
    Guess i should just keep saving till i have the money to afford the Billsteins. On a sad note tho. The car has been parked indefinitely due to mechanical issues.
    -=MIKE=-