Thread: SR hot as hell!!

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

SR hot as hell!!

Okay, I install my SR intake, and following mindlos' example, I install it as directed. Get this: start car with cold engine, runs great! warm engine up, power drops. Wanna know why? The SR pipe is hot enough to cook eggs! Well, not quite that hot, but it's pretty warm. What did I do wrong? Did you guys cut the pipe to seat the filter higher?

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    what kind pipe are you using?
    you may want to paint it with $500 ceramic paint.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    $500? damn, that shit must have diamonds in it or something!! :lol
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    I'm using the spectre SR pipe for the 92-96 civic application. It's just stainless steel.
    And unless five hundred dollars falls in my lap I don't think I'll be-- HOLY SHNIKIES!!! $500!!! j/k. :lol
    Is it really that expensive? That's friggin crazy!

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I think he ment 500 degree paint...

anyways it will get hot... your engine is basicly an oven.

I cut a hole in my firewall at one point just big enough for a 3" pipe then increased the length of the intake to reach the hole... then stuck the filter inside the car right where the passenger foot well is. You wouldn't believe the sound it made...
    - llia

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    I dunno, mindlos said his was cold and frosty...
    You put your intake INSIDE the car?!?! :lol That must have been awesome!!
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Yep, and that was in the winter when moving. My filter is right above the passenger side drive shaft. Sitting still and idling or slow speed in summer makes some good pot roast oven under the hood. You arent drawing enough air through the intake to keep it relatively cooler than the ambient temp under the hood.

You could also do the coolant hose bypass for the manifold since that warms the air more than the underhood environment. However you will have to deal with carb icing and temp gauge relocation.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    Ahhh. Did you cut your pipe at all? It looks a little shorter than mine... hmm... I might do that.
    Have you ever had problems with getting the filter wet?
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    I do believe I cut about 3" off the pipe on the filter side. Since the cone filter is so big it sits very close to the strut tower where the brake lines are mounted. I have never tried to find out whether it gets wet nor have I had any problems that would indicate that. I guess its not THAT low but I did have to mess with the A/C lines to get it to sit okay.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    Yeah, I had to mess with the AC lines too. I removed some kind of mounting bracket attached to the wheel well or somewhere near there and pushed the AC line.
    After I finished it, my dad wanted the same thing for his Triumph TR7, so we bought the same parts and some flex hose and zip ties and fit it on his car! no kidding! It sits right above the air dam. it's a real crime when a honda part fits better on a different make than another honda...
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    1995 Civic Ex
    Originally posted by racerx
    I'm using the spectre SR pipe for the 92-96 civic application. It's just stainless steel.
    sorry dawg but thats not stainless steel, its hard plastic.! get a real cold air intake.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic Ex
    my filter reaches my battery and is on top of most of the lines, its not burried like his. i took off 3 1/2" on the piping, but i used a AEM civic CAI i got form my shop. this is professional unlike ur spectre piping. but i have noticed much power gains at cold tempatures, but its been 109 here lately and there really isnt much u can do about heat. just take a drive at night and ull see much power diffrences.

nick-

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    Originally posted by Neuspeed007
    sorry dawg but thats not stainless steel, its hard plastic.! get a real cold air intake.
    Holy SHIZNITS!! I cannot believe I paid friggin $40 for a stupid painted peice of plastic!!! I thought you were crazy but when I put the magnet on it...no pull...DAMNIT! ...

Vehicle
    91 GSX - 89 Si - 87 DX
    92-95 applications.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    With my short ram as I kept driving I noticed power loss, even with the ceramic coated piping. I am glad I made a custom CAI-(the power gain is awesome) Now I just have to worry about rain. (even with the bypass valve-I still worry)

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Originally posted by Neuspeed007
    Originally posted by racerx
    Holy SHIZNITS!! I cannot believe I paid friggin $40 for a stupid painted peice of plastic!!! I thought you were crazy but when I put the magnet on it...no pull...DAMNIT! ...
    NO NO NO!!! The spectre pipe from autozone is not hard plastic!!! It is ALUMINUM!!!!!. The coned filter is plastic+metal and many are. If you hacked one up with a reciprocating or hack saw you would know from the filings that it is metal. Aluminum is not ferromagnetic so it will not be attracted to a magnet. Put the cut piece on the grill or hot stove and see if it will melt and make a mess. That will tell you if its plastic. Trust me I did it already. Better yet check conductivity usinf the stripped area.

So, Neuspeed007 why did you think it was plastic?

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    oh, yeah, I just figured that out the other day. I cut about 3" from the pipe to let the filter get a better position and it was not the easiest thing in the world...it was definately aluminum. screw that though, I'm making a cai asap. stupid sr...
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8