Thread: trouble STARTING in the morning

DX User
    Vehicle
    Grey 1986 honda accord DX

trouble STARTING in the morning

New fuel pump, adjusted/new carb, adjusted timing belt but

In the morning when i try to start my car, i have to hit the gas peddle slightly to get it to start. Why is this? How much do you think i'll have to pay to get it fixed? If i hold off for awhile will this eventually cause damage?

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Carburated Accords need to have the gas pedal depressed completely at least once before start up when cold in order to set the choke of the carb. Plus the depression of the gas pedal injects a small amount of gasoline into the carb for easier starts. If your car refuses to start after sitting for a day or two, it may be that the gasoline has evaporated from the carburator and you may need to switch the fuel pump on 2-3 times before depressing the gas pedal. Cycle the fuel pump by switching through the Ignition switch positions. My start up sequence on the first start, if the car sat for a while, is as follows (carb is original, no tuning or rebuilding done):

1.) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position 2 times.
    2.) Turn ignition switch to ON.
    3.) Pump the gas pedal two times.
    4.) Turn the ignition switch to Start.

Using this procedure the car comes to life without a problem. I hope this helps you.

P.S.: If the engine runs well, you may not have a problem at all. Sometimes you just need to find the best way to start your car (carb cars particularly).
    Last edited by '89AccordLX(Rus); 07-30-2003 at 07:44 PM.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    wow...all that just to start it? That really alot!!! I had no idea some cars just don't start right away. this is gonna save me the embarrassment of sitting in front of my house cranking the hell out of my car.lol thanx alot Rus!

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Well, I use this procedure only when I know that the car sat for a while and probably won't crank right up. Generally, if the car hasn't sat for too long (too long for my car is about 2 days), I will just get in, depress the pedal once and crank the engine over. You just need to find what works for you and your car. Also check and/or replace your fuel filters. If either of the two filters is clogged, it will be tough to start the car (don't ask how I know this ) Also make sure that your air filter is not clogged.

I hope you find this helpful.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Is your car on a slope when you start it? if the hood is pointing up you may want to reverse up the driveway or street next time you park so the hood faces down.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    rus- thanx i'll have the filters checked. My car started right up this morning though after i hit the gas before i turned it on.

Michael- no, my car sits on a level street. I'll do the reverse parking when i do park in someone's drive way though.

Thanx alot guyz!!!