Thread: I see smoke every morning

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

I see smoke every morning

I think it's because of a seal and maybe the oil is leaking into something causing my car to smoke every morning. I read somewhere on here that I should get oil for high mileage cars because my Honda has 170,000+ I use Cas. 10W-50 now. Is there some kinda oil that'll work better and maybe ease up on some of the smoke every morning???? The smoke is REALLY light blue. And there's a LOT of it!!!!
    please help me

Try 10w-30

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    ok,
    there two types of blue smoke.
    1. blue smoke that smokes all the time = your valve seals are broken. easy to replace them.
    2. your car smokes when you first start or when the engine is cold, but the smoke goes away if the engine warms up = your valve guides. hard to replace. will need a shop for that.
    Alex.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    2007 pilot
    Shephard is right. if it only does it in the morning, and it stops after awhile, then it is your valve guides. my 84 does that, but it doesnt bother me. getting the problem fixed would be a real pain, so if you absolutely must get it fixed, you should just rebuid the whole engine, or get a new one. if the smoke isnt that big of a problem, then just dont worry about it, you wont be burning enough oil for your oil level to drop from oil change to oil change. another thing you can do to help the problem, is when you park your car, park it in a position where you dont have to back up to get it going. that way, your car can burn off the oil really quickly when you first start it in the morning.
    Last edited by RustyHo88; 08-05-2003 at 02:29 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    what do u mean park so that I don't have to back up to get it started?? How can I get it to burn off quicker?? OH yeah...I recently stopped for a loooong time but then started back again.

loooong=1month
    please help me

LXi User
    Vehicle
    2007 pilot
    what i mean is, if you park in your driveway, park it so you dont have to back up to get out. meaning... back it in to your driveway. the engine will burn off the blue smoke much more quickly if you dont have to idle much. just park it so you can start it and go. another things that has seemed to help me when its really cold, is use your block heater if you have one. i dont know why a warm engine would help your valve guides, but it seemed to help mine.