Thread: bumper covers?

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord dx

Question bumper covers?

hey i was looking at autobodypartsonline.com and it says that they have bumper covers for sale....does this mean paintable covers that go over the black dx ones or what? cause i was thinking about going to a yard and getting the painted lx bumpers instead of the rubbery black ones i have now but if i can just get covers then that would be great....any help would be appreciated! thanx guys! -Trista-

|
    The bumper is just the thick beam that crosses the front of the car, the bumper cover usually refers to the plastic that gives it it's shape.
    |

It's best to get ones that are already painted because it is very tricky to get the paint to adhere to the fresh lpastic whereas the factory paint has better hold than anyting else you can buy, just but a painted one and have it sanded a bit (just to make it a bit rough, not all the way to the plastc) primered, then painted and that will hold best (it's pretty economical too)
    Last edited by POS carb; 06-14-2002 at 12:12 AM.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord sedan
    or..you could just do it your self and paint it this way....

sand it down remove all teh imperfections adn stuff....wash it down with soapy water adn clean it good....wipe it down with wax and greese remover....
    spray a couple thin coats over the entire area....best to do this before its on teh car....
    do like 2-3 coats of FLEX PRIMER that you can get at a auto body suppley store I used Sherman Williams Flex primer and it was in a spray can for 8bux....

if you don't use flex primer then the paint will break first cool day...

tehn after this sand for any imperfections.....wash again with wax and greese remover....make sure you DON'T touch teh parts to be painted with your bare hands use latex gloves...

paint with what ever colour you want...go get a colour matched spray can from the auto body store....

spray 2-5 thin coats of paint over the bumper...you can sand it inbetween lightly with siome very fine stuff to get a good finish...

wax the shit out of it when your done..

voila a painted bumper cover!

did this to mine and the paint has held up through a Canadian winter(painted both front and rear covers as well as all the mouldings...
    nothing