Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaker size

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 accord lx-i

speaker size

Hey guys! Havent been active in this forumn ever since i crashed my car, well anyways i was wondering if you guys know the speaker size for the car, so i can go buy some speakers for it tomorrow morning. I checked the manual at the speaker shop downtown and it said front was 5 inch and back was 6.5, iono, it doesn't seem right to me because for a fact i know my front are 6.5 and back are 6 by 9, well anyways let me know. I own an 89 accord coupe lx-i, thanks i appreciate any help that i can get.
    '89 accord lx-i coupe

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    well.. if your front are 6.5 and the back are 6X9.. why are you posting??

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    I'm guessing your fronts are 5 1/4's. I don't know that they make a 6x9 in back and 6.5 up front.. I could be wrong
    Aaron
    My spelling was never a streingth...

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 accord lx-i
    well i always think i can be wrong, but im just wondering what you guys have in your car i guess
    '89 accord lx-i coupe

I know in some coupes, they had 6x9 in the back. So you're probably right there. But I think in front you probably have 5 1/4. Check to be sure.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    6.5 in front, 6X9 in back
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 accord lx-i
    thanks, oh yea what would you guys prefer...pioneer, kenwood or sony?
    '89 accord lx-i coupe

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    Yeah... why exactly are you asking if you know the specs of your speakers?

anyways, Honda used different speakers per model trim and year it seems, but you're in luck. I just put in a new system this afternoon, consisting of a Pioneer DEH-1500 head unit, Pioneer 6.5 TS-G1647 2-way fronts, and Pioneer 6x9 TS-A6960R 3-way rears.

I have an 89 Accord LXi aswell, but be careful about your 6x9s... The original mount area is too small if you have a deep cone, atleast I did. For mine to work, I had to file and sand the top of my stock enclosure so it could fit without cutting through the metal of the trunk.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    Same here, but they had to cut the hell out of the metal back there to make my cone fit, not only that but had to cut the two bars that go accross the back of the trunk

I have an 89 lxi too, but I have 5 1/4's up front... not 6.5s... I wish I had 6.5s
    Aaron

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    YGPM Cyric

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    Originally posted by xaccordx89x
    thanks, oh yea what would you guys prefer...pioneer, kenwood or sony?

Alpine
    Aaron

Pioneer.

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    I like my pionee's, and my 6.5s fit perfectly into the stock door... I just think honda didn't think this speaker thing thru.

Sorry Trav, but I'm a poor college freshman, I'm interested in em but my cash is significantly at a buy nothing point right now.

ANd how deep were your cones? I didn't have to cut them or touch the crossbars, tho they did kind of interfere with the placing of the connections

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    Pretty deep, at least 4-5 inches... Infinity Kappa's
    Aaron

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    Heh, now I see why you had to

Edit: and Dawg... I talked to my guy at our local AMS shop and he said if you have the 4 inches you could rip that mount out and have room for the 6.5... but I'm not sure if that applies to the 5 1/4s too
    Last edited by Cyric_accord; 08-14-2003 at 12:21 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i
    ok i have 4" in my 2 door se-i 89
    It did have a bose in it at one time

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 accord lx-i
    alrite..i bought my speakers 6.5 alpine type r and 6x9 type r....bought them for 240 for both...only problem now is to getting them to fit...i realize the cone was too big for both...any suggestions guys?
    '89 accord lx-i coupe

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    Ok, you're probably not going to be able to get the 6.5's up front with the stock mounts... But you can get them up there I guess without those..

In the back, the 6x9's SHOULD fit into the mounts, depending on how wide the cone is. If you have the speakers now, check. Do they fit all the way down into the mounts? (not the metal hole, just the mounts alone.) they should, and if they do the getting them in will be pretty easy.

You'll need a jigsaw with a metal blade, mark out how much you'll need to cut out of the back metal, and go at it from your trunk.. Wear safty goggles in there though with hot metal scraps fling around.

If that's not something you feel comfortable doing, take it to car audio store, and let them do it. Though you'll have to pay
    Aaron

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Personally I'd take em back and get ones that fit without having to hack up metal with a dremmel or a jigsaw, But thats just me. You might wanna go look at Crutchfields website, don't buy from em there hella expensive, but they have a list of what fits into about every carwithout any adapters or modifications. May not alway be the best (I think they list a cple pioneer and kenwood 6&1/2 for the doors) but it gives you a reference as to depth and stuff

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    Here's what you can do to get just about any bigger round speaker to fit up front: Simply cut a Baltic Birch (or other non-MDF wood [MDF gets ruined when it gets wet]) ring and attach it to the speaker basket, and then mount the speaker to that.

I made really elaborate Baltic Birch/fiberglass pods that I mounted my speakers up front in, you can just make really simple ones that work great.

And the stock honda sizes for 89 LXi coupes are 6X9's in the back, and like 6.25" up front... the thing is that most mainstream manufacturers (pioneer, kenwood, alpine, sony) call their 6.25" speakers 6.5" when they really aren't. The woofers of the component set I have in my car now are 6.5" (I measured them with a ruler) and they were about .25" too wide to fit in the stock locations w/o modifications.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 accord lx-i
    thanks for ur suggestions...but the problem is the 6x9 dont even fit on the stock mounts...and the 6.5...the speakers dont fit on the mounts in the front either...im more concerned about the front speakeres...and the back i guess i can have someone make me a mount for that...so are there any suggestions on how i can get the 6.5 onto the front...the cone and the magnet is too big...thats what im thinking...but im hoping theres a way...thanks any suggestions is appreciated.
    '89 accord lx-i coupe

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    Also, what I had to do to make my previous 6.5"s to fit was this:

I removed the stock baskets, and took a jigsaw, and hacked off all the plastic except for the part where the speaker mounts. You can get just about any magnet/basket assembly to fit into that, then the next concern becomes window clearance.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 accord lx-i
    I hacked that off already, thats the first thing i did. These type r speakers are bigger than i exspected them to be. It still doesnt fit
    '89 accord lx-i coupe

Vehicle
    2000 Integra GS-R, 1988 Accord LX-i
    I have JL 6" 3 ways in the front, and Kenwood 3way 6x9s (Soon to be replaced by JL) in the rear. For the fronts I had to remove the backing of the stock mounts, and for the rears I had to adapt the stock mounts to fit the new speakers in order for the cones to clear.
    - Matt

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    Originally posted by xaccordx89x
    I hacked that off already, thats the first thing i did. These type r speakers are bigger than i exspected them to be. It still doesnt fit
    Then I would suggest doing this: Put the speaker up to the stock basket, and mark with a marker where the spokes of the basket touch the ring. Then bust out the jigsaw/dremel/cutting tool and cut holes in the ring so that the speaker will fit in it. That's what I had to do with my 6.5"s...

Then go to the hardware store and get some soft compressable rubber weather stripping, and put that around the plastic ring so that the speaker still seals when it's mounted.