Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT , TURBO ( Accordtheory )

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi ==== 94 Civic DX
    give us more info dude that setup is tight /\ gave me a ragin!
    ||
    ||
    ||
    OO
    Dinky Doo Dinky Doo!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi ==== 94 Civic DX
    /\ give us more info dude that setup is tight gave me a ragin!
    ||
    ||
    ||
    OO
    Dinky Doo Dinky Doo!

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue
    holy shit that shit is tigth man, what part of cali you live in man may be you can come to the meet
    heres the link
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=33248

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)

Welcome to boost!

Go to my other thread, http://3geez.asmallorange.com/showthread.php?t=34099, and post your progress.
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    what is the setup? What turbo/how much boost are you running? Is that an AEBS B16 intake mani? I like your turbo mani. All you need now is an FMIC
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    yea thats the AEBS mani I'm going to get one here pretty soon. They putry!
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..
    That AEBS manifold was a pain in the ass to fit too. I probably spent about 5 hours cutting up my cylinder head with a die grinder to match the ports on that manifold. I am curious to see how much of a difference it will make. (the 88/89 2 stage is junk) I am also wondering about how effective that ceramic coating will be on my header. As far as the FMIC, no, I want either air to liquid or I am going to use water/methanol injection, provided I can make it 100% "failsafe". Right now I am waiting on Seans' ecm, (another thing I am very curious about!) and for my distributor to get to him. I haven't figured out what I am going to do yet as far as my radiator goes. By the way, for those who don't know, I built the entire turbosystem myself, and have been rolling with boost for a while

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    man i want to see the pics..i cant see..some one email me
    [email protected]

Vehicle
    What turbo/how much boost are you running?

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Robs89LXi
    Very nice. Tell me more about the exhaust manifold (who built it, material, weight, how supported?). Also, what did you do with your radiator?

Well?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    For those who may want to read more on my setup, or what my setup was anyway, I have a thread under the project central section called "my turbosystem so far". I haven't updated that recently, and I have learned a lot since then, but there is still a lot of good info there. My stupid engine fire prematurely compelled me to do a bunch of upgrades, and my J&S system never worked properly, so I decided to get Sean's ecm. That and the AEBS manifold are my biggest changes. By the way, Robs89lxi, I do not recommend making a turbo header the same way I did. Although my header can support more power than I will ever create and will accomodate A/C and power steering, I built it out of mild steel weld L's and it added a lot of heat to my engine bay. Wrapping it hardly did anything, other than making it warp. Hopefully the ceramic coating will reduce both the skin temp (it is on the inside too) and the transmitted heat much better than the wrap. If I am happy with it, I will say. The way I would build a header now would minimize the heat problem from the start. I would use 16 guage 321 stainless, with much shorter runners, (less area=less transmitted heat) and if I didn't think that it would be able to support the mass of the turbo adequately, I would build a support that wouldn't fight the thermal expansion and contraction of the header. Stainless has a lower coefficient of thermal conductivity but a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than mild steel, and you need to factor this into the design. If you want more info on header design, the burns stainless site is good.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    ahh yong grasshopper i see you have learned much since our last phone conversation. very very good. now you see why we build our headers out of 321 stianless.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Is that what you use Sean, 16ga? Thanks for the detailed info, that was very usefull, and I will certainly take it into account. By the way, how do you plan to coat the inside with ceramic coating?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    I was thinking about building one out of 304 thickwall (you can but the L's online from jgstools.com for like $6 each) but I decided not to because of the thermal expansion problem... The thickwall tubing wouldn't be able to flex like the 16 guage under thermal expansion. Also, I wouldn't build a thinwall turbo header out of 304, only 321 or 347 (but 347 is almost impossible to find). What I learned about header construction is that I took the opposite approach to what works best as far as the flange and tube design. Instead of using separate flanges for each port and thickwall tubing (I was worried about warpage across the flange) what I should have done is use one thick flange and thinwall tubing. The flange wouldn't get hot enough to warp and the force of the thinwall tubing's expansion would not be sufficient to distort the thick flange. And to sum this up, supposedly mild steel has 219% more thermal conductivity than stainless... And yeah, I have learned much, and it would be cool to have a new stainless header, but as if that wouldn't be enough of a pain to make, I would also have to make a new charge pipe, oil drain line, air intake tube, coolant lines, and downpipe, so if that ceramic coating works, I will be very happy

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    You said you plan to coat the insides, how do you do that?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    I dropped it off at a place called American Industrial Coatings in Sacramento and they charged me $120 to coat the whole thing. Cleaning it up before applying the coating is the most time consuming thing, according to them. (Well I guess not on a new header, but mine is already a year old) They sandblasted it, chemically cleaned it, baked it in an oven, coated it, baked it again, and left a message on my phone saying that it was done about a week later.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Wow, if it is a good quality job (and it sounds like they do good work), that does not sound like a bad price. I'll have to check locally when I finally construct mine. Did you get a choice of colors (blue maybe )?

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    thats cool man...nice to see another turbo car on the board,but I dont really like that mainfold,it looks like it creates to many problems for clearence,and be carefull around that wiring I would hate to see that car catch on fire agian...wrap it up with that header wrap that you were using

Vehicle
    so accordtheory, you gained a power increase by going to seans ecu setup?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed
    thats really cool lookin, the exaust manifold look craaazy give us some WHP readings sometime
    Last edited by johnwc723; 05-30-2004 at 10:40 PM.
    Check out pictures of my car HERE
    "drop a 150 shot of NOS sticker on that bad boy and you can run 8s" -portugalfocus

SEi User
    Vehicle
    I'm still waiting on Sean's ecm, hopefully my car will be up and running soon, so I can begin tuning. Once I do, then I will throw out some numbers, but probably not from a chassis dyno. I will probably buy a GTech Pro accelerometer, and keep the testing in the real world.

Vehicle
    tune with a wideband ;P

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    interesting manifold set up. I think i have seen urs before on Ebay or something cause i have a pic of it on my desktop saved a long long long time back. Anyway, how is the spool up time and what kinda turbo u said it was? Lemme go read ur thread in the project central before i keep on going.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=22227
    Last edited by smufguy; 06-03-2004 at 07:01 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord DX, 2 dr 5 spd, '87 Toyota Pickup, 22R 5 spd
    this is some good stuff im reading!

im gonna make sure i stay tuned in here, cause im going to turbo my accord too.