Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX 4dr(Gone) 1996 Ranger XLT

Alternator

Hey i just replaced my alternator and got a jump the car would run fine with the cables still connected but a few mintues after they came off(acutally about 30 seconds) the car cuts off. Am i missing somthing? I plugged in the wire harness but there was a little connector or somthing with black tape on it that came with the new alternator. Dose that go to anything?(not to sound stupid but i cannot figure this out) IF anyone knows anything that could help please tell me.
    "If all the year were playing holidays, to sport would be as tedious as to work"--Willam Shakespear

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi
    I'm not sure what you got with your new alt, you have to explain it a little better.

I've never change an alt yet but I think there should be a white wire that connects sort of on top of alt. Did you hook that wire up?

LX User
    Vehicle
    Well i just installed it and my battery was pretty low so i got a JUMP and that did start the car but it would not run but for a few min. and the battery light was still on well i keep saying min but it was only mere seconds and the car would shut off. i figure i shouldnt of had a problem unless i did somting wrong with the alt. because it seems the car was running off the battery with no alt. SO i would like to know if i need to attach some type of grounding wire to the alt that i missed. because i only attached the wire harness
    "If all the year were playing holidays, to sport would be as tedious as to work"--Willam Shakespear

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Did you attach the white wire?
    Last edited by Mac; 08-23-2003 at 04:39 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    no, not yet because i cannot find it so therefore im not sure what to do. but if i know i need one which i probaly do then that must be my problem

LXi User
    Vehicle
    The wire should be there. It might of got stuck somewhere. It should be a white wire and it should go to a terminal on top of your alt .

LX User
    Vehicle
    alright, thanks alot i hope this works. I thought that big a$$ plug was all i needed but i guess i was wrong.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Originally posted by Mac
    The wire should be there. It might of got stuck somewhere. It should be a white wire and it should go to a terminal on top of your alt .
    Bro ur confusing the altenator with ur starter dude. The altenator does not have a white wire going to the top of it. it has one green connector with three (carb) or four (efi) prongs to it.

Dude blok, take ur car to autozone and get it checked for free.

LX User
    Vehicle
    well see i see no white wire but in my case CARB i do have to ground it dont i? lol and i cant take my car to auto zone because it wont run. O well i may just sell it im so damned frustrated. So can someone set me straight, Do i need a separate grounding wire for this alternator?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Did you buy the right alternator?
    - llia

LX User
    Vehicle
    yes the wire harness fits in perfectly it plugs right in. Im trying to explain this but i am not very good at it i guess. I bought an alternator for my year car from autozone carb dx i got exactly what i was supposed to but i still am not sure if i need to plug in anything else because if you look at a standard accord alterator there is this little wire sticking out(well connection for one) that i belive gose to a wire thats torn up and hanging down under my car duh right? but hell i keep thinking that one plug is all i need. So i do need to connect that wire to the alternator right? grounding?
    thanks for your help

LXi User
    Vehicle
    If you look at the top of your alt there should be a terminal(threads, like a screw coming out). That is where there should be a white wire with a rubber boot on it. Probally the wire you see. Is it a white wire?

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX, carb, AT
    There is no grounding wire! the ground goes through alternator chassis, mounting bolts, brackets, engine block..
    You fitted in the 4P connector but beside it there should be this white thick wire which goes (through a 70A fuse in engine fuse box) to the battery "+" !!! This is the charging wire. It connects to alternator through an isolated stud. Check that the hanging wire of yours goes indeed to fuse box. If is hanging there, it might have touch the engine and the 70A (#21) fuse could be gone!
    Last edited by DanG86LX; 08-23-2003 at 06:58 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Thank you. Finally someone agrees with me. I've been telling Blok that he needed to hook up the white wire from the beginning, then I'm told that I don't know the difference between a starter and alternator. I never said it was a ground wire.

Blok please hook the white wire to the post on top of alt, tighten down with nut and put boot on for protection. Start the car and see if it charges the battery. If it doesn't check the fuse mentioned above. Let us know how it goes.

LX User
    Vehicle
    Thank you for your help. The wire is black though but i belive it is the wire. it dose not look like it is ready to be connectd yet because it is all torn at the top and has nothing connected to it so it can be bolted down its just a naked wire. damn im dumb i hooked up a grounding wire that was a waste of time. well perhaps some how the orignal wire came out and maybe i did not need a new alternator after all. well im going to try that once i get a bit of free time i will let you guys know how it gose. Thanks alot for the info

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Ok, not sure why the wire is black. If it is the right wire it should end up at your battery like DanG said. Make sure it does before you hook it up. You can try to follow it back to the battery. Then make sure the wire has battery voltage on it. If not the fuse might be gone as DanG mentioned above. Sounds like you will have to crimp on a terminal to hook it up. I can't stress enough to make sure it is the right wire before you try and hook it up. Is it a big wire? Does it end up at the battery? Let us know how you make out and if you need any more help. Good luck.

LX User
    Vehicle
    well thanks i found out the wire is just ducktaped that is why it is black but now i have a blown 70a fuse! your right. i probaly have to go to a honda place to get one again ehh?

LX User
    Vehicle
    well guys i hooked it up and was almost done. So i connectd the new fuse that i blew then i prepared to connect the NEG wire to the battery and what happen SPARK! and FUSE GOSE POP. 3 doller fuse down the drain. Well i give up ive worked at this for five days and i guess i dont know anything about what im doing. I plan to take it to a auto shop when i get the money for the tow. Thanks anyway for your help guys. Heh if i knew jack about cars i would have saved some money ehh?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    You mentioned earlier that you hooked up a ground wire. Where did you hook it up to on the alternator?

LX User
    Vehicle
    well at one point i hooked up a ground wire to the same place where that charging wire gose all i did was find a blot to ground the wire on because i bought a grounding wire. but when you told me i dont need one i hooked up that wire hanging the charging wire to the same place that bolt on top of alternator and everything seemed fine until the neg battery terminal was hoooked up and spark happend

LXi User
    Vehicle
    So on that terminal there is only the charging wire and nothing else? Did you try jumping the battery or starting the car with the ground wire attached?

LX User
    Vehicle
    i did try to but i had no results

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Also, did you get the car in this condition? (no alt. and wire taped up). Why was the charging wire taped? Make sure that there is no bare spots (insulation missing and wire exposed) that might be touching ground.

LX User
    Vehicle
    well actualy i got the car 3 years ago and had no other problems untill one day i was blasting my music and my battery light came on., the next day i was heading home and my light panel went out then my horn went dead untill my whole car powerd down. So basicly yes it did come with the tape up but i cant understand why the hell it ran fine untill now and this problem occurd i guess somebody halfassed it

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Yep, what happened was your alt went bad. They don't last forever. Any way when you had the ground wire hooked up did you get the engine running?