Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damper Fork Removal - Rubber Bushing / Bolt ; Seized , Rusted , Frozen , Stuck

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    wait wait wait, before you go to such drastic measures....

This is not the end of the world just yet. I had the same problem with one of my coupes, and ended up with an idea that actually worked, and only required me to buy new bolts from Honda at about $5-7 each. Not bad when you consider the alternatives.

Here's a link to a thread where I explained the process.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16728

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

*edit: PS> How come you took off the top bolt from your sway bar, and one of your radius rod bolts?
    Last edited by markmdz89hatch; 09-02-2003 at 11:51 AM.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    Then (89 LX-i) Now (94 EX)
    Thanks for the ideas guys, but I do have another question,

I have a new bolt and a new nut, but my problem is getting the old broken bolt out of the bushing.

If I do end up getting it out, do you think that bushing will still be any good?

I have a new bushing comming tomarrow, but how hard is that to put in? Can I do it on the car, or does it have to go to a shop and be pressed in?

Also how hard is it to remove the lower arm, I know it has to be disconnected from the frame and the lower ball joint, but has anyone done this and can give steps or pointers??

markmdz89hatch: I took off my top nut on the sway bar and radius rod bolt in order to try and get some more room to remove the strut (by lowering the whole setup)

Thanks,
    Cameron

Vehicle
    Update!!

The bushing is trashed, we tried to use an 8 ton bottle jack (sideways) and push the sucker out (we had a 3/8" S.S. plate on the other end with clamps and a hole for the broken bolt so we had something to push against, and then put the bottle jack against the frame and let it rip!!!

And NOTHING, if anything I just put my wheel out of alignment (sp?) It is amazing that that little bastard bolt took all that pressure.

Any suggestions or problems removing that lower arm?? The bolt that holds it to the frame is a bitch to brake loose? or any other common difficulties? I am in the process of getting a air ratchet to loosen the lower arm bolt.

Cameron

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    The bolt that holds the arm to the frame MAY NOT be seized. My bolts that hold the fork to the lower arms were seized, but the bolts that held it to the frame were not. So, I pulled the arm off and took it to a dealer and had them press out the old bushing and press in new ones.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by Whitehonda

I have a new bushing comming tomarrow, but how hard is that to put in? Can I do it on the car, or does it have to go to a shop and be pressed in?
    Why? WHY? Why not buy my bushings

Yeah, it needs to be pressed in.

Vehicle
    Originally posted by anchovies
    Why? WHY? Why not buy my bushings

Yeah, it needs to be pressed in.
    The reason I didn't get it from you is that I need it now...I am currently driving around my parents 6th gen accord V6 coupe :smokin: but the reality is that I need to get my car back working asap and don't have time to screw with shipping and all that.

Cameron

Vehicle
    What do I do if I break off that bolt that hold the lower arm onto the frame??? Has anyone done that, I can just imagine thats a bitch to deal with. (I didn't do it...yet, just want to know what my options are. Thanks

Cameron

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Well, you saw the picture I posted... that's what you have to do if you break that bolt.... not fun but sometimes life's a bitch... :p

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    Well I talked to my buddy who used to work at the Honda dealer as a wrench for about 15 years (so he knows his stuff) He was like OMG!! We never take that bushing apart!!!!, we usually just

Unbolt the top 3 strut nuts and the damper fork pinch bolt then take a pry bar and push the strut up out of the for and remove. Fix whatever needs to be replaced and then pivot it back into place and bolt it all back up.

^
    (there should be a how to about this!!!)

He said 99.9999999999999% of the time that the bolt breaks and that there is no chance in hell to get it out of the bushing once it does, same goes for the one on the other end of the arm. Plus it is a real bitch getting the old bushing out and then a new one in.

Thanks for all the help and replys!!!

Cameron
    Last edited by Whitehonda; 09-03-2003 at 07:49 PM.

Vehicle
    I told you that you would have fun.

the only way to get the inner bold out is to cut the arm like I did.... you might be lucky and the bolt will just come off..... but If the damper fork was seized, that other one is seized too, I'm 100% sure on that one.

Your friend was right about the fact that they never get that one out... it's always seized and breaks..... that's how I did my suspension... but I wanted that thing to come off... it obsessed me... and haunted my dreams.... so I got the grinder and got that bitch out........

I need these parts!

Vehicle

Finally got the bastard figured out!!!!

Well just to let you know, one impact wrench later the bolt that held the arm on came right off!!! No problems at all, and I got my new spring on the strut!! I now m just gona get an arm off one at the junkyard that has good bushings (I think I found one) and clean it up and stick it in place with new bolts.

Lower arm with trashed Bushing

Undershot

Check out the broken spring, broke on both ends!! The replacement cost me only $4.99

Cameron

Vehicle
    You're one lucky son of a gun that bolt usually snaps without any warning... I guess it was your lucky day

I need these parts!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987/4DR/LX/5sp
    When you put it all back together, use a little anti-seize compound (like the stuff you should use on your plugs and lug nuts) on the bolts to prevent future problems
    I'm fat and big boned.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lxi hatch (FI) stolen :(
    uhh... I had no problem removing those bolts on my car:lol

well... maybe not "no problem", but a breaker bar was all I needed... I've seen alot of people on this board complaining about rust and seized parts... what'd you guys all get yours from a junkyard ... actually, I did get mine from a junkyard:super:

well... i was just here to gloat ... bye
    87 hatch (stolen)

88 lxi 4dr, 5spd, threw a rod... in process of swapping engine from my 87 hatch (police recovered what was left of the car).

the fucker that sold me the 88 is lucky he lives 500 miles from me...

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    you also live in california....better weather=less rust. I didn't have any rust either

Alex

Vehicle
    I actually bought my new lower arm from the Junk Yead and the bolts both came right out!! No Problems, and now the old White honda is back togather and running smoothly once again. Thanks again for the help and ideas.

Cameron

DX User
    Vehicle
    accord exi '88, A20A4

damper fork removal?

hi guys

i was attempting to change the driveshaft on the driver side, and tryed unsuccesfully for ..like 3 hrs to remove the damper fork bolt (according to haynes instructions)...it looks like the bolt will brake if i try any further...

is there any way to remove the driveshaft without removing the damper fork? ..any´suggestions please?...i'm really stucked!

cheers!
    peace!

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    i used a 1 meter pipe to get this bolt out ! and luckily it didn't broke ! just notice that it's a bolt with a nut so you have to hole the nut ? ( this for the lower bolt )

Mike
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX Auto AC
    It's seized and will never come out. You can have the dealer cut and replace the bolt/bushing for $100, or u can disassemble the driveshaft at the inner joint and not deal with it at all.

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Originally posted by joebeets
    It's seized and will never come out. You can have the dealer cut and replace the bolt/bushing for $100, or u can disassemble the driveshaft at the inner joint and not deal with it at all.
    Watchalo!!!

When I first removed the fork, I used the cheater pipe method as Accord EX mentioned, but ended up breaking the bolt. I had to extract and purchase another bolt. The freaking car sat overnight with liquid wrench and still was a pain to remove.
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    yeah even if the bolt breaks or whatever you still run the chance of ruining the bushing. If i were you id just dissassemble the inner joint (takes 2 min) just take the band off and pull the axle out so it separates from the inner joint.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

DX User
    Vehicle
    accord exi '88, A20A4
    Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
    yeah even if the bolt breaks or whatever you still run the chance of ruining the bushing. If i were you id just dissassemble the inner joint (takes 2 min) just take the band off and pull the axle out so it separates from the inner joint.
    thank's man...that's exactly what i was thinking of!...i remember i did dis involuntarly on my 84 prelude once...the inner joint just went out when i pulled it...wasn't sure is the same on this one though

why do they do such a stupid construction???...what is the need for the bushing when you have the damper??? (never saw such an assembly before...)

cheers!
    peace!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Hey if you need the bushings, I've brand new ones for sale cheap. PM me if you need it asap.

DX User
    Vehicle
    accord exi '88, A20A4
    Originally posted by anchovies
    Hey if you need the bushings, I've brand new ones for sale cheap. PM me if you need it asap.
    thank's man...i'll definelety consider that if i'll have to change them (which i hope i will not ).

p.s.
    do you deliver to sweden?
    peace!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 4Dr Accord LX-Burgandy
    Anyone have a picture? What is a damper fork?