Thread: car drives like it has cruise control all the time

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LxI

car drives like it has cruise control all the time

Well thats it guys, the car somehow drives by itself. I drive to 30 and it stays at 30 mph, even after my feet are away from all the pedals. I just put on a new distributor, so now my idle needs to be fixed. WHen i turn on the car it goes to about 2k rpms, if i rev up the engine to 3k and let off it stays at 3k for about 2 seconds. Very odd. I have tried messing with the idle screw but mine is really fucked up and hard to even move. If i turn it right shouldnt that lower the rpms?

Vehicle
    1989 CRX DX 1989 CRX Si 1990 CRX DX 1994 Toyota 4Runner
    sounds like you need to lube your throttle cable, go get some STP Silicone Spray, and have somone pump the pedal while you spray, Fixed mine.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    somtimes (ive personally seen this) the throttle bodies either move roughly or are hard to turn and can stick. Usually if they do anything like that you have to replace them... just get one from a jy
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    yeah, dont get the reag carb cleaner cause it says on the back that u cant use it for fuel injection throttle bodies. Get the one for fuel injection, have the car off, and spray on the throttle plate, on the spring outisde the TB, the two pivot holes of the Throttle plate. Wipe off any liquid that comes out. While u spray on the Two pivot holes, work ur way on the throttle plate, opening and closing it while u still spray on it.

It makes all the different in the world.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LxI
    Hey thanks a lot guys for the info, but i think i might as well replace my tb due to my idle screw being fucked beyond belief.

Vehicle
    2007 Honda Civic Si RR FG2
    I feel your pain man, my car idles at 2k plus so I coast down the road at 25-30mph
    Military style fears God not a stranger.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

Question

Hi Folks,

I seem to be having the same problem with my 88 Accord. It will hardly start when it is cold, then when it finally warms up, it runs really high even when I stop. Aside from annoying, this is incredibly embarrassing. People think that the car is going to explode or something.

By tweeking the idle screws I have managed to get the idle down to 1000 - 1250, but it shuts off now at any given time. To top it off, I just found another adjustment screw on the left side of the carb. I don't know what it does, because I turned it and nothing happened. Engine is not idling smoothly either. Can anybody tell me exactly how and where to set the idle on this car. I can read pictures better than anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Got a 200 dollar 1988 Accord that I'm tryin to make good.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    Ok the person with the 88 accord, is your car carbed or FI??? if its carbed, you probably adjusted the throttle stop screw in, either that or your throttle cable is busted.(happened to me both ways). and for the dude with the 89 LX-I do the same for the throttle cable, and check your idle speed screw, you probably messed with this and had it stuck up there.

If none of these work for the both of ya, at least i tried with the info that i experienced (on the carb model only, but looked up for the Fi in Haynes book)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX
    Hi, I'm the guy with the 88 Accord. Well, it happens to be carbed. I know that the screw on the right side of the carb adjusts the idle speed when the A/C is engaged. I also had to adjust the throttle cable to make the idle more steady, so I don't believe it busted. The thing that I am wondering about is the adjustment screw on the LEFT hand side of the carb. What does this adjust? My guess is that it may be the dead stop idle screw. If that is the case, I will be able to adjust the idle fairly easy. But right now it just keeps shutting off with no warning.

Thanks for you help.

Llackej1971

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Llackej, U talking about the one with the 3 fatass vaccum lines going to it? its called the AJC (Air Jet Control) for altitude adjustmen, if ur car goes like its on cruize its most likely ur getting too much gas and it could be due to a faulty O2 sensor like i said.

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX, carb, AT
    Llackej1971, why don't u try the "Carb" sectio of this board? There might be some knowledgeable guys there.. And ur reference to left/right screw is quite ambiguous, there are many screw around carb.. Here are pics and names for every one of them: http://87accord.com/carbpage.html

IMHO, correcting high idle with Throttle Stop Screw compounds ur problem!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    ok Llackej1971 those are not the screw to mess with, those are your idle adjust screw. what I am talking about is the big fat plastic knob in the back of the carb where all the metal tubes are, thats the one to adjust.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX
    To all,

Thanks, I will check all of the infos that you gave me. Man, I expected somebody to respond in maybe a week, but you guys are great. I really appreciate the help.

Llackej1971

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX
    To DanG86LX

Thanks ALOT for the link to the pics of the carb and its' screws. It really helped me figure out what is going on. I'm ready to tackle this thing now.

Thanks Again, Llackej1971