Thread: Taking the 86 off the road....

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,

Taking the 86 off the road....

I'm sure no one gives a crap but with the rock incident and stuff, I think I am going to take it off the road for a while. What I plan on doing is:
    1)Pull out the engine/tranny again so I can clean and paint it like I did with the 88 so it looks brand new
    2)Fix the clutch since it binds sometimes making it sound like a POS when I start it up
    3)Fix the dent on the fender and rust bubbles in the rear wells myself and try to smooth out the rear valance a bit, maybe take off that crappy spoiler and get a 4th gen one if I can get a good deal.
    4)Undercoat everything to help keep the rust away for a while
    5)Get another Maaco paint job
    What happend was the insurance estimator said the repairs for the rock damage would cost $300 CAD which is the same as the deductible so I am better off getting it fixed myself. SO I might as well repaint the whole car and fix some other stuff for a few more $. I am thinking about prepping it myself and taking my own paint this time. I won't paint the front bumper since the paint on there is top quality stuff from when I got it fixed at my friend's shop from a previous accident. The total bill for this would only be $600 CAD (more if I get a new spoiler). What do you guys think??? Does it sound like a good plan? I can't do this right away since I don't have much time or any extra money but if it's off the road, I can work on it slowly as I find time and it should be done by summer time.
    Last edited by YK86; 05-01-2002 at 01:34 AM.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I can't even last a week without driving the car... arrrgg

Go for it... I don't know how much I've got spotted throughout the undercarriage and such... but I'm sure it needs work... taking the engine out and painting it is something I really want to do... I would love to have full access to all the engine parts.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    Go for it Yasu. You got too much time in that car to let it go to pot, and now is a perfect time to work it over. Yeah, I know about the minor rust thing; I got a tad bit bubbling in the lower corner by the bumper. It shall be fixed REAL soon.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Yup, that sounds like a good plan

I plan to do that too in the not too far future. I got a spare engine anyway.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Yasu,
    Make the 86 a show car. Get everything straightened up and start bringing it to shows. Garage it in the winter if you can and do little show things to it.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 87 Hybrid Civic, 76 Chevy Blazer, 2000 Jetta, 1985 Civic sedan
    That is a winner of an Idea that way you can take your time on it and get it as close to perfect as you want it.
    "AAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster." Quote by Homer Simpson

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Wow, your gonna have your hands full, sounds like a great plan.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    Thanks for replying guys! I'm sure if I take my time and slowly work on it, the body will be in pretty good shape when I'm done. I may even cut out the rust and replace it with new metal. I guess it's not that much money I'll be spending so I might as well fix it up one last time. Got to find the time to do it though.......
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX ... 2001 Accord LX
    If you make it a show car, that would be very cool. I hope to have enough money by the end of this summer to begin work on my car. Interior, engine rebuild, Weber carb, cam, etc.
    Good bye to the 1989 DX Type R. Hello 2001 LX.

DX:

"Four wheels, four doors, and no frills."

Vehicle
    86 Accord Exi
    yeah man sounds like a good plan.......macco again?! that car needs a base/clear paintjob man!!!! but yeah i am doing the undercarriage spray tomm, did tha white guages today didnt turnout as well as i planned.....how did u do the fuel guage for tha 86?! newayz good luck man and in no tyme tha car will be bling blinging the streets again peace! :pimp:
    86 Electron Blue Accord Exi
    3geez Member since October 31st 2001