Thread: rear brake scraping

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i HB

rear brake scraping

My left rear brake makes a scraping noise when I brake. I took off the drum to see if the pads were worn but they're not. Usually it'll either make a high pitched squeal when i stop or a low scraping noise. Has anybody else had this problem?

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    use water hose to clean the brake dust. just spray a lot.
    DO NOT USE ANY BLOWERS. that shit is bad for your health.
    check the drum, for any damage.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Did you check both sides of your rear brakes? I've been fooled before trying to play it by sound. That grinding sound is never good, obviously. When my rears started grinding, I had to use a brake tool to get my drums off b/c they were stuck. If you check the other side and they are both in good shape, check the rotary parts of your suspension for new scrapes. That's about all I can figure at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

Vehicle
    89 EX-i, 88 Accord LX (parts car)
    try switching the drums, I had a low squeal I couldn't find out what was causing it, finally switched drums around and the problem has been gone for over a year........

I had the same problem. I replaced my brake shoes (went with real Honda parts) and it solved the problem. I f'd up my brake shoes by accidentally driving about three miles with the parking brake engaged. The parking brake was so useless that I barely realized it. Now, it will actually hold the car on a hill.

Better for cleaning the brake parts is a can of aerosol "Brake Parts Cleaner" from the auto parts store. Spread some newspaper underneath if you want to keep your driveway or garage floor clean, though.

Vehicle
    95 Chev C1500 Truck / 90 Cavalier Coupe (sold)/ 88 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    Check to see if the backing plate is in contact with the drum too. I've seen (& expeirenced) this happening from a loose rock hitting the plate while driving on the highway.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i HB
    I cleaned out all the dust and it continued for a little and just in the past two days it hasn't made anymore sound. That still wouldn't explain the scraping sound. Its odd.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    are u sure its from the rear? Try going at low speed and use ur hand brake. see if u hear it. That scraping sound is most likely ur pads diggin ur rotors in the front.