Thread: $600 for Wheel Bearing? WTF?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx-i

$600 for Wheel Bearing? WTF?

I work my ass off and finally save enough money for 4 new tires and had them just put on my car. I was about to start saving some money to get new fuel injectors but now they say I need to replace 3 wheel bearing on my car at $200 each for a total of $600. WTF??? Am I being taken for a ride here? Those mechanic even went on to say that it would be dangerous if it were to break while I was driving, I would loose control of the car(oldschoolswap's accident came to mind).

So how do you know if your wheel bearing is going bad? I heard that if it is bad, it makes a high pitch screeching noise when you are driving it. My car ride straight and smooth now that I have an computerize 4-wheel alignment done and 4 new tires put on and it don't make any screeching noise either. My car only have 155,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it as long as possible. I figure I better check back with you 3geez guru for any suggestion.

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    It's expensive to replace wheel bearings, but that is highway robbery. Look elsewhere.

If they aren't screaching or making noise yet, don't worry about it.

OSS lost his suspension to a balljoint, not the bearing.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    Sounds like a screwjob. At least they have ethics, and would only get you for 3 out of 4.

You could always take it into a Honda dealer for a suspension & bearing check (don't tell them anything about the other shop). It would be cheap insurance to make sure all is OK.

I agree that it would make noise or your wheel would shake or something else if they were bad.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    here is my story with the wheel bearings !

symptoms : A deep tone sound ( speed realted not rpm related ) sounds like a performance muffler sound inside of the car on the highway ! , wheel shaking at high speeds !

cure : you can do the job your self , but it's pain in the ass to get the hub out ( front wheels ) , then you'll have to take the hub to a shop to compress the bearing out and put a new one in !
    i didn't try the rear ones but it should be much more easier !

abot going to the honda shop ! you can do it but see how much will they charge for the check up ! they car tearthe car up for you and then you'll have to do it at their shop , you know what i mean ! ?

any questions just ask !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx-i
    Good thing I check back with you guys. It seems that tire shop definitely have some shoddy mechanic. I did a little asking around several other tire shop and all of them say a bad wheel bearing would make a audible screeching noise when you are driving it. Mine doesn't make any noise so I guess I just forget about it and keep all driving. :super:

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    whan a bearing fails you'll definetely feel it !
    and don't worry if it fails while driving ! the car just want drive !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx-i
    Originally posted by ACCORD EX
    and don't worry if it fails while driving ! the car just want drive !

MIKE
    Cool! It's really reassuring to hear that man. Next stop, fuel injector time!