Thread: Alternator took a $hit again!!!

Vehicle
    1989 LXi Coupe (SOLD), 1998 Accord EX

Angry Alternator took a $hit again!!!

So I was driving down Rt. 309 to pick up a nice ass amp. The place I was going to is about a half an hour away from me, but has alot of traffic lights. About half way down there I start to notice my system cutting out on me. I was like wtf, well maybe there is a loose connection or something. So I turn it off. Me and my little step brother in the car, just sitting there thinking about whatever. Then the lights start to get really dim. And I was like what the hell is going on. And all of a sudden we both say outloud "It's the damn alternator again!" And wouldn't you know it it starts to putter out and then that light that all of us love comes on... bright yellow engine light. I was like motherfocker!!! So I pull over and call my Dad up and I say, my car died.... And he is like well try and get to my house and I will tow it into work in the morning. And I am like well I dont think I will make it there. And he is like well just stay in the right lane. So about 10 minutes down the road, my headlights completely off, brake lights probably dont work, and I am like 5 minutes from my Dad's house. I get behind a slow ass old driver and he brakes right a a yellow light. So naturally I had to stop. And the tac is literally on the first notch and puttering. So the car just dies. Me sitting on the right lane with like 15 cars behind me beeping their horns. A miracle happens and I get a break and cars start going around me and there is not a car in sight for about a minute. I tell my little brother to steer and I push. We finally get onto the side. Hazards dont work so that made me a bit nervous. But about an hour and half later my Dad shows up with his tow truck and saves the day.
    Thinking about getting a new 3g...

1988starter
    What kind of syste do you have because a big one can kill an alternator quick

Vehicle
    1989 LXi Coupe (SOLD), 1998 Accord EX
    Originally posted by 1988starter
    What kind of syste do you have because a big one can kill an alternator quick
    Well I have a Kenwood Excelon 1000 watt running at 75%. I also have a Kenwood Excelon 650 4-channel running probably 60% of its maximum power. I have a 1-farad cap and it stays at an even 12.5 volts mostly all the time. I realize that is low and that was probably an early warning sign that something was wrong. I believe the stock alternators put out 65 amps and the one I am buying puts out 140 amps (one of those mean green ones for like 350 bucks. I know a bit expensive but im tired of frying alternators) . This was the second stock alternator that I fried. They were both rebuilt so that might have been a problem too. So my 3g is alone in the shop right now awaiting an alternator. Man that thing is gonna give me lots of power, and my 3g will be nice and happy
    Thinking about getting a new 3g...