Thread: 4 6x9s?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi Sedan

Lightbulb 4 6x9s?

i know that you can put 2 more 6x9s in the rear deck by cutting out that fabric stuffing shit. Has anyone done this yet? if so, how did it affect the sound? was the sound from the back overwhelming? also, how could you wire these up? by the way im running the existing 6x9s off an amp right now. thanks for input
    if you cant go fast, go loud and sexy

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    It would destroy the soundstage. If anything is to be in the rear deck, MID-BASS drivers would make an excellent filler. If you are a BASS-HEAD and care not for the tonal quality or have an appreciation for the depth of a good sound system, then what you have described may be good.

BTW, I have 2 buddies who owned a stereo shop a couple of years back. They did what you suggested to a couple of customers cars with various configurations. Even with crossovers in place to disperse or help so in soundstage, it was distorted and not very clean. The combinations ranged from QUAD 6.5s to QUAD 6X9s on different cars. They wired by using stereos with multiple RCA outs and in combination with the line outs, were able to utilize the four speakers plus the two in front and a sub.

I distinctly remember 1 which had that setup with a 4 channel amp. Two channels helped the extra rear 6.5s and the other channels powered a sub in bridge mode. The front separates were powered by the stereo (as per the customer's request) and had to be matched to the GAIN of the amp so as not to overpower too much. Didn't help though, IMO.
    Last edited by zero.counter; 09-14-2003 at 05:15 PM.
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi Sedan
    hey educate me about what you mean by mid bass drivers. also, my rear speakers are already overwhelming, i have no amp for the front, so im not too worried about that. however i do care about tonal quality, but dont understand how it would be affected. help a brother out
    if you cant go fast, go loud and sexy

4 6x9's to an amp wired parallel will give you great thump for the money but that fabric shouldn't be the only thing holding them up
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX (Sold), '94 Buick LeSabre "The Tank", '86 Lxi New Project
    dude, i did that a long time ago, like 99 when i had my first 3 g, jsut point them like this ( ) and leave the super tweeter closest to the window