Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a stock muffler louder??

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

How to make a stock muffler louder??

can i just drill a hole in it, or is there a better way....i dont have the money right now to get one of those cherry bomb exhausts

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i 5 speed hatchback
    Culpeper, Va.- home, JMU (Harrisonburg, Va.)- school
    why not just save your money and by your car something to make it fast instead of making it loud to draw attention and such.
    "Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    You can gut the current muffler and weld it back and it will be loud...J/K Actually, remove the muffler and it will have more noise...HeHe
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    cause racing doesnt appeal 2 me looks and sound does

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    but what if i drill a hole, will it be louder?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    It sure will, but it won't be deep sounding. Just think of a trumpet vs. tuba effect.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    Get a Stainless Steel or some DTM Universal muffler for like 40 bucks and put it on, cause It'll sound like shit if you put a hole in the muffler or pipes... I know

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    its got a 1 year old stock muffler on it now...i see no point in buying one now....im gunna buy one that is proper after winter....how big should the hole be and where should i put it

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    where do you live? Because if it snows, or rains heavily... it wont matter, that stock muffler is gonna rust thru like a b*tch, and fast. I had a hole right after the header, in a flex pipe and it sounded shitty... I can't tell you where to drill because you'll get different tones in certain places and hole sizes. But if you do this, you'll lose back pressure in some places and lose horsepower

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    well i aint racing so it doesnt matter bout horse power....and i live in canada....ontario....i blew a hole in the last muffler and it sounded mint then....but i dunno i will do a small hole in it first and then try a larger one depending on the sound......after i do my emissions test of course

Vehicle
    Well since you already have the muffler, you cant really loose, so go for it!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI - sold, 1996 TL - sold, now I have a 2003 Acura CL Type S
    poke a hole in it....

Started with a 89 Accord LXI - 96 Acura TL - 2003 Acura CL Type S..

my other site, www.brandonlee.com!

DX User
    Dude your a dumbass for askin such a dumbass question.Im trying my best to make a car quite and your gonna ruin a perfect exhaust to become another Honda ricer.

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Originally posted by DaveC
    Dude your a dumbass for askin such a dumbass question.Im trying my best to make a car quite and your gonna ruin a perfect exhaust to become another Honda ricer.
    Hey there brutha. I know that you are new, but flagrant insults are a bad thing.
    FORUM RULES

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THIS PART:
    Member Conduct

1. You will not post any messages that are discriminating, obscene, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in violation of any laws.

2. Fellow Members are to be treated with respect at all times.

C'YA
    :lol
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

Vehicle
    DaveC how do you go about quite(ing) a car? You should watch who you call the dumbass.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    Originally posted by jayp6969
    its got a 1 year old stock muffler on it now...i see no point in buying one now....im gunna buy one that is proper after winter....how big should the hole be and where should i put it
    I put a 1" hole inside the cat., and the sound difference(IMO)is to my taste. You can use the cat as the toner. I doubt that all cat's for our 3geez are the same, but I had to go through 3 plates of honeycomb catalyst inside the cat. You can make it bigger to let more sound pass to match your taste, but remember that when it comes to emissions time, buy a spare cat and swap them. when you are done swap it back.

FYI, when I put the 1" hole in my cat, I got a considerable jump in HP with some backpressure in the system. (although you arent interested in HP, i thought I'd let you know)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    BTW, i forgot to mention. Use a piece of steel pipe that is 1" wide not round, and at least 1 1/2 feet long. move the muffler piping by pulling the cat towards you after unbolting (you dont have to remove the rubber mounts, just unbolt it from the header down-pipe and pull it). once you have it towards you, stick the pipe in it and use a sledge hammer (5lb one will work) to punch the holes. then rebolt it up and enjoy.

NOTE: BTW, be prepared to see a cloud of catalyst and pieces shoot out the muffler (if you have a straight through), if you have a muffler with baffles in it, you may have to remove it and shake the shit out of it to get all the pieces out. otherwise you will have a rattler of a muffler lol.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i (done for) 88 crx si 91 bmw, 93 lexus es300 project88dx accord
    yo if i can give u some advice i spent 59 shipped on my muffler off of ebay and its an Apexi N1 so it wasnt a bad deal and it sounds real good. and about pokin a hole no way man it will sound like shit bro belive me.. so hit up ebay man!

Banned
    Vehicle
    2000 Civic LX
    I had a mazda that the muffler rusted out on it so I just took it off, it sounded pretty cool. Maybe just try taking your muffler off, no sense in poking holes in a fairly new muffler. Your car would sound nice and loud with the muffler off and you could sell it to help pay for an aftermarket one.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    but then u get stopped by the police

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    Sounds like a stupid idea to me. But if you want people to point and laugh at you for "making your car cool", than go for it... Grab a screw driver and go nuts...

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    ok I'm lost. You say you want to be louder but you also say your worried about the cops. Guess this is just my opinion and take it for what its worth. If I were you I'd wait til I have the money to get what I wanted if theres nothing hella wrong with what you have. Why waste time if its not what you want. If you p[oke holes and its too loud then what ya gonna do??????? Speed tape the holes???? Just wait or thats my suggestion

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    go to canadian tire and spend 30 bucks on a RAPTOR muffler... stock looking, cheap as hell and its real nice sounding

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

just grab a drill and start opening holes until you like the sound, but you can get a universal muffler from Summitracing.com for like $30
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1991 Supra Turbo W/ 12k Miles
    A friend of mine has a 3g and his muffler fell off... it sounds great. I would take a saw to it start saving your money for another muffler.
    ~Nathan~

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
    ~StOcK PiCs~