Thread: odd question dont get pissed i asked

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Lx auto

odd question dont get pissed i asked

how would you go about takin an engine designed for RWD application and matching it upto a FWD transmission? i know it can be done i just dont know how

Banned
    Its in the haynes manual... section 9-4

Nate.

Vehicle
    2010 Genesis Coupe; 1996 240SX
    if you are thinking of doing so on the Accord you will find that the fuel tank would block the driveshaft to the rear wheels. So extensive custom work would have to be done if you want to do this.

Pics of the '89 Accord Coupe: link

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    I don't think he's talking about converting the chassis to RWD, I think he's talking about converting a RWD engine to roll a FWD chassis. Likewise I know it's possible but no clue how. WTF Haynes manual? The 3G repair one? I have that and I didn't see anything in there about that kind of stuff...
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 si accord .... 5 speed :)

depends

first of all match the gear boxs... if u can

you need to find out if the engine ever came out in front wheel drive

for example the ae82 toyota trueno hatch has a rear wheel drive 4age... but the 85 onwards had front so its quite simple to match the gear boxes up and i think the engine swaps from being a north south to an east west

if that makes any sense good ...if not i didnt write it

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, Pontiac Sunfire Convertible, & 1979 Corvette
    I'll take a crack at this one. It's not as hard as it really sounds as long as the engine fits transversely in the chassis with the tranny attached. It is literally possible to put a small 6 cylinder under the hood of an Accord (please don't ask me which ones fit.) and attach it to an Accord transmission with an adapter plate and transmission output shaft extension.

The mounts would have to be totally custom but it can be conceiveably done. Of course you would have to have custom everything else. (manifolds, wiring harness, etc.) It's also possible to convert a fwd car to rear wheel drive by faricating a transmisision tunnel and using 2 5 gallon fuel cells on either side. (again, oversimplified example)

There is no law on what you can do to a car in the area of engine and transmission placement. Hypothetically, you could cram a new Vette motor under the hood of an Accord (no it really wont fit. Not easily anyways) and then use the Vette stock transmission that is in the rear of the car and use that configuration. (again, you probably wouldn't have a back seat then.)

The complexity of your modifications are only limited by the depth of your wallet.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord lx-i
    Toastyghost - Look in the Haynes manual right after the section about how to put hydrolics on an 84-89 Accord. Section 9-3

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Exi
    I had an older hot rod mag that they put a Caddy motor, i think it was 572ci Big Block into a Chevette. It was soo big that half the engine came through the fire wall. Ford 9" rear etc. etc... It pulled i believe 11 sec. runs. Any way if you have the know-how and the tools, anything is possible

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    Thanks I'll check out that section of the Haynes manual when I find it..
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx 4dr
    could u possible put the engine in...hook up the 4wd system from a crv and run the 2 front axles that way? like go directly from the output of the rwd trannie to the transfer case of the 4wd?

u thinkin s2000 swap? or what?

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Originally posted by DarknessRS
    if you are thinking of doing so on the Accord you will find that the fuel tank would block the driveshaft to the rear wheels. So extensive custom work would have to be done if you want to do this.
    You could always put a fuel cell in your trunk and then run any rwd application.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    1998 VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Edition
    Originally posted by accordlx
    I'll take a crack at this one. It's not as hard as it really sounds as long as the engine fits transversely in the chassis with the tranny attached. It is literally possible to put a small 6 cylinder under the hood of an Accord (please don't ask me which ones fit.) and attach it to an Accord transmission with an adapter plate and transmission output shaft extension.

The mounts would have to be totally custom but it can be conceiveably done. Of course you would have to have custom everything else. (manifolds, wiring harness, etc.) It's also possible to convert a fwd car to rear wheel drive by faricating a transmisision tunnel and using 2 5 gallon fuel cells on either side. (again, oversimplified example)

There is no law on what you can do to a car in the area of engine and transmission placement. Hypothetically, you could cram a new Vette motor under the hood of an Accord (no it really wont fit. Not easily anyways) and then use the Vette stock transmission that is in the rear of the car and use that configuration. (again, you probably wouldn't have a back seat then.)

The complexity of your modifications are only limited by the depth of your wallet.
    Someone was telling me apparently a Buick or however you spell it 6cyl engine could fit since it's quite small.
    Cocaine's A Helluva Drug! - Rick James
    I really fracked things up for you Bill - Colonel Tigh
    Girl we couldn't get much Higher! - Light My Fire

Vehicle
    1991 H23 powered Accord EX Wagon , Turbo 91 Honda CRX, and 96 Blazer LT
    Originally posted by accordlx
    . It is literally possible to put a small 6 cylinder under the hood of an Accord (please don't ask me which ones fit.)

which engine would fit in our engine bay Chris?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, Pontiac Sunfire Convertible, & 1979 Corvette
    Here are a couple of motors that I strongly believe would fit without a problem:

Mazda MX6 motor. (not much dispacement)
    Mazda RX7 Rotary motor. (Hmmmmm but not a V6)
    Any Porsche Flat 6 motor (a big improvement)
    Buick 231 V-6 (My personal pick with an Austin Rover fwd tranny)
    VW VR6 Corrado Motor w/the Volkswagen 6 speed VW tranny.

Any of the last 3 motors could be made to have over 300 horsepower very easily w/ off the shelf parts.