Thread: Front Upper Control Arm replacement

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Question Front Upper Control Arm replacement

Hello everyone!

Both of my front upper ball joints are in need of replacement meaning I would have to change the upper control arms along with them. The new control arms do not come with bushings that are used at the chassis attachment point. After checking my current bushings per the Shop Manual, I have determined that my bushings do not need replacement (no free play at all). Would it be alright to transfer the current bushings(with their respective seals) to the new arms? Is there any reason why cleaning, relubing, reassembling, and reinstalling the current bushing assemblies on the new arms is not a good idea?

All input is appreciated.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    I'd think you'd be safe to assume that you can re-use them without a problem as long as you had no freeplay. Mine need replacing to, so I decided to just go with prelude arms for the camber adjustment.

I reused my bushing when my balljoint failed and have not had a single problem.

However, I believe that I saw bushings on Majestic Honda for around 12 dollars apiece, and if you don't want to redo your job again down the road, I'd just get new bushings.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    I would go with the prelude arm since it would be cheaper to just buy that arm at the j/y and buy the ball joint and bushings for it instead of buying the whole upper arm for the accord. Just make sure to get a front end alignment afterwards, it will really screw up your tires if you dont.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Since you are going through all the work you might as well replave the bushings. I plan on doing the same thing soon and will purchase everything.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    danronian:

Alignment would not be neccesary since 3G Accords do not have adjustable camber. If the replacement arms are of correct specification, they shouldn't change anything. (Unless of course you mean after the Prelude arm installation. Then you would be correct )

I decided to replace the bushings along with the bushing seals (full bushing/seal kit). However, the shop manual also specifies that the 10mm locking nut that is used in the control arm assembly should be replaced. Can anyone give the specs on this nut? Shop manual is not too clear about it. Here is a pic: The nut is on the right.

Thanks in advance.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    I think he meant if you go with prelude arms since they do have adjustable camber and therefore would require a chack on the rack to insure proper tire wear