Thread: 2nd Gear damage, needs help.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi that is really pimped!

2nd Gear damage, needs help.

Drivin my 3g over the last few weeks, while shifting from 1rst to second, i get some major crackin noise... I don't konw if it actually my gears grinding, or if my shifter needs replacing. It's manual. When i'm goin for a fast acceleration with high rpm's, it grinds more and doesn't pop into 2nd like i want to to. I want my smoothness back...

What do you think??? Do i need to replace my 2nd gear, or a new shifter? If i need to replace my 2nd gear, how much would it cost me to do and what not.
    [Interior] Doors/Dash/Center Console painted at graphics shop. Black/Maroon interior. 20"x4 Green Neon's with sound sensors and a custom switch that I am forever proud of.
    [Exterior] Painted Tail Lights, Red emblems, CUSTOM SI logo that I found in the junkyard, 15" Brobet U's, Tokico Struts, Nuespeed Coilovers, Street-Glo Green Neon Undercar Kit.

1988starter
    Try filling your tranny with lucas trasmision fluid 1 bottle anout $9 and then about 2 bottles of valvoline duralube 10w40 it helped mine when it started to do that. I also have to go into second rather quick to get the best shift.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    Try Redine MTL. I had the same problem with my 87 CRX and it fixed it. this is what I use in my Accord now anfd it works fine. It's basically synthetic oil specifically made for manual trannies.
    You can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi that is really pimped!
    so yall think it's fluid problems.... with that grinding??? wierd... but ill check on it.
    [Interior] Doors/Dash/Center Console painted at graphics shop. Black/Maroon interior. 20"x4 Green Neon's with sound sensors and a custom switch that I am forever proud of.
    [Exterior] Painted Tail Lights, Red emblems, CUSTOM SI logo that I found in the junkyard, 15" Brobet U's, Tokico Struts, Nuespeed Coilovers, Street-Glo Green Neon Undercar Kit.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    It's not fluid problems... beleive me

Your synchros are going bad. The fluid might help the problem to go agai but will not do miracles..

Or course, your tranny might need some fluid too, but it would be bad in all gears, not just the 2nd.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    I agree with Carotman, I meant to say that is was going to help for a while, but not solve the problem completely. I'm laz so I tried to skip some...

Evenually you'll need to change your tranny. And do it as soon as you have a chance. It sure sucks to have your tranny go on te 400 close to Barrie on a Sunday morning (happened to me; $866 final bill).
    You can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me.

1988starter
    Yea Carot is right I was trying to give you a temp fix untill you had enough for a new tranny.