Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got an Accord!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx

I just got an Accord!!!

Hello everyone. I just got an old 1988 Honda Accord Dx with 160000 miles on it. I've heard only good things from the 3rd gen Hondas, so I figured Id give it a try. Its in pretty good shape, and was only 1200 dollars(what do you guys think about the price??). Anyways, I want to fix it up, but will get to all of that fancy stuff later. The first thing I want to know is where I can download a manual. I really need one. I guess I could order one from ebay, but you know how that goes. Another thing I really need to take care of right now is all of the fluids. I probably need to replace all the fluids and bleed and flush the cooling and brake system. Theres only one problem.....I know nothing about the car!! Could someone tell me the major things I need to change out before I start on any other projects? Also, where can I find some detailed specs on the Accord Dx??? As you can see, I dont know much about the car or what I need to do to fix it up. I like to have everthing explained to me . Anyways, I love the site and expect great things from my new (er....you know what I mean) Honda Accord .

Thanks,
    DrKnow

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    what kind specs are you looking for?
    go to FAQ for all your questions first, if you don't find it, do the search.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    is it a 5 speed or auto?

its a 98 hp carbed engine... not too much mods for it.. but look in the FAQ's and HOW TO's to see some modz

Travis

PS.. if its an AUTO.. you own the slowest 3G made
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Shepherd: Just some all around specs really.

DXHATCH: It is an auto, but Im thinkin about converting to a 5 speed later on.

Another thing I have been wondering about is the D2 D3 and D4 settings. What is this? Gear ratios I suppose, but Im used to chevy.
    88 Accord DX

For the manual, go to http://www.pauldesign.ru and click on Shop Manual. His site is designated to 3g accords... so take a look!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Yes, I am downloading that as we speak.......It will take for ever on my 56k modem though.
    88 Accord DX

Find somewhere with high speed and burn it to a CD!

Also, the best way to learn about your car is to pop that hood, and start picking around. Eventually, you'll become familiar with your car! Start tinkering with things, see how they work, etc.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Yes, I love to tinker with things. I figure I will spend all of my time tommorow messing with the car. Im having to pump the gas to get it started, so I will mess with that first,
    88 Accord DX

It is normal on carbed cars to have to do that, the first time you start it in the day. After that, you shouldn't have to.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    yea.....how much does it cost to change to fuel injection???
    88 Accord DX

It's a pain in the ass, but some people have done it. It will give you another 20 horsies though

Do a search

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    yea, plus messin with the installation and everything......It can be done though Im sure.
    88 Accord DX

Yep it can.

ALTHOUGH, you can't beat the gas mileage of the carbed engine. I get 400 to over 500 miles to the tank.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    That is true, and as much as Ill be driving it, its something to think about. I just wanna a cheap way to pull some horsepower out of this thing.
    88 Accord DX

Well, like I said, do a search, you'll see a few things.

Oh, you have a DX. Those are pretty light. Tuned right, they can be pretty quick also. Not to sound like a speed demon or anything, but I regulary get up to 115-120 mph mark on my way home from school, on an empty highway. And it's stock.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Well, I live 30 miles from town and its 1 straight road all the way (lightly traveled with no cops). You bet Ill be goin as fast as possible. Does the dx have and rev limiters/cutoffs?
    88 Accord DX

I believe so if it's an auto.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Well, Ill have to fix that .
    88 Accord DX

Wait, the FI has the rev limiter at 6,500 rpm. In which case, I don't know if the carbed auto has a rev limiter.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Oh, well no sense goin over 6500 rpm anyways......well, most of the time.
    88 Accord DX

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Congrats on the car and welcome to the site

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    Thanks man.....I love the site. User communities rock.
    88 Accord DX

Vehicle
    1991 Supra Turbo W/ 12k Miles
    Welcome!

I am moving your post to the newbie section...
    ~Nathan~

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
    ~StOcK PiCs~

1988starter
    The d4 d3 and 2 settings are just gears d4 will got 1 2 3 4 asutomaticalt d3 will go 1 2 3 and 2 will go 2 3 4 and never go into 1 notice there is no d near it.