Thread: A20A1 Swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord LX

A20A1 Swap

i have a 89 Accord LX with a A20A1 carbed engine. What can i swap with that? Its displacement is 1955cc. If i cant get a decent engine, can i swap the bottom end or head for a Prelude or anything with more power?

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX coupe, 1989 Accord LX coupe, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Isnt the Accord really an american car. I thought the 3rd generation accords were built in Ohio and I thought the engine and transmission is also built in the US. So a 250hp 3rd generation accord would really be an american muscle car.

DX User
    Will A Prelude A20a3 Single Cam 12 Valve Head Bolt Right Up To My A20a1 Block??????????????????????/

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Yes it will. However if you want EFI you'll have to convert. Otherwise the A20A3 head is the exact same except there is a slight difference in the valves which in turn gives you a slightly higher compression ratio. Don't expect to see any performace gains from just swapping the head. If you want power get a B16 manifold from openloop motorsports, and port match it to the head, and get the head ported and polished.

Chad, all 3G's made in the US have their VIN starting with 1HG, 3G's made in Japan have their VIN starting with JHM.
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadroper
    Isnt the Accord really an american car. I thought the 3rd generation accords were built in Ohio and I thought the engine and transmission is also built in the US. So a 250hp 3rd generation accord would really be an american muscle car.
    Some cars were built in Marysville while others were built at Sayama (Japan)

If your serial number begings with 1HG it was built in the US.

The Accords built in Japan had JHM as their first digits.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    It's the pistons not the valves that give the higher compression in the A20A3. The heads are the same the only diference you'll notice is the last cam bearing cap has an extra ear on it to attach the efi distributor, but a carb distributor will bolt right up to it, there is no performance gain to be had with a head swap.

andy

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    so would a piston swap yield more power? i've noticed the A20A1's are usually advertised at around 100 hp while the A3's are around 135 ish I believe....

If i were to swap an A-series into my 2gen should I get the A3 and carb it?
    I currently have the A18 twin carb from the prelude and it is advertised at 1hp more than a stock A20A1.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    The first accord to be built in the US is 89 SE-I. I think they where the only ones built in the us and the 3rd gen or any honda will never be a american car
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    wow, in all my searching i never knew about the b18a carbs... is there any possible way to make that emissions frendly...?
    Last edited by sporkHSP; 01-05-2005 at 03:39 PM.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    who the heck cares? all these engines are poopers dude, all uber slow, why would you swap for a weeee bit more power. as long as the car runs you should be happy. that's just my opinion tho.

and if i wanted more power i would do a bseries or you can swap efi in your a18, i believe the a20a3 efi system should work for your a18 since they're the same series. then after you can turbo. with just the efi swap you should gain a couple right there.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    yeah, i would efi swap, but then ill be looking for a b20, thats just the kind of person I am.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    really? i thought the 88 coupe was one of the 1st models to be built in the US exclusively, or so what i read on a honda site. i think the 3gee's build in japan were better made, that's what i'm thinking because i see a bunch of american made 3gee's in the junk yard. very few japanese built ones. i think i said that before. as for the swapping bottem ends or heads, not really, usually requires machine work if you do it.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    just remember these are 81 and 83 model cars....if i wanted hp without a challenge i'd slap a blower on my V8 pickup...the A series engines seem to be the perfect platform for tinkering and extensive research development and learning.

besides, with these engines i have the option of running a carb for now (i'd like to stay away from efi for awhile), or using EFI with a few additions and minor component swaps.
    Last edited by Ichiban; 01-05-2005 at 07:56 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    personally, i kinda do like having a carbed engine. how about putting a weber carb on your accords? that would be cool.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    when i learn more about weber's i might...i didn't know ppl put them on hondas until this weekend, shows how much i'm learning from this website.
    you guys are pretty cool, i know i'm a "newbie" and prob post where i shouldn't but i have fabricating and welding experience on lots of stuff....plus tons of general mechanical knowledge....i'd be glad to help with any questions you guys have, just pm me.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

A18/a20?

Quote Originally Posted by SIBILANTx
    Will A Prelude A20a3 Single Cam 12 Valve Head Bolt Right Up To My A20a1 Block??????????????????????/
    If your going to head swap try an A18/BT2 head for higher comp ratio. I haven't tried it but people say it works.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Pep your carbs with DCOE power

Quote Originally Posted by HondaBoy
    personally, i kinda do like having a carbed engine. how about putting a weber carb on your accords? that would be cool.
    If you're gonna go Weber go DCOE, forget DGVs. Ask Phydeaux. For a quicker fix we got my old 84 to run on a 2bbl Holley after tossing the whole lot of Honda carb/controller/emissions gear. But putting a Holley carb on a Honda is almost sacreligious. If you're old skool than carbs rule!

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning