Thread: Valve cover leaking oil???

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

Unhappy Valve cover leaking oil???

My valve cover has been leaking oil for about 4 months now. I put on a different cover and it helped a little since the old owe was a little warped. Then I put some of that gasket seal on it and now it leak on the front side. Before it leaked on just the sides? I put washers on top of the cover cause I thought the cover might be bottoming out on the studs.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    did you clean the cylinder head before you put a new gasket. if you didn't no matter now much you tighen it will always leak, because there is oil gap between cylinder head and gasket.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Yeah clean it up really good and then with a new gasket put some gasket sealer with it and it should do the job. I had the same problem with mine when I changed covers.

-Mike

P.S. Gasket scraper works like a charm.

Also, make sure you are using NEW grommet/washers under the hold down nuts. The rubber part becomes permanently compressed and will not provide adequate compression to prevent leaks when reused. This is especially true with aftermarket hold down grommets that I have noticed seem to deteriorate faster than the OEM ones.

Vehicle
    87' dx sedan/88' lxi hatch
    when you clean the head, make sure that there are not any deep scratches /nicks etc, running from inside to out. if there are you can use the gasket maker as suggested, or you can use a copper filler. it is a tacky spray with copper particles suspended in it. it comes in an aerosol can. I have had amazing success with it in the past, so I always use it.

Van
    Who need wenches when ya got a shiny set of wrenches?

Grease Monkey forever!!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK
    take off your VC...clean it...pull the old gassket off....clean the mating surface on the head grab some high temp silicone and go nutts!

Vehicle
    Well I have done pretty much everthing you have said. I all ready have all new gaskets and seals. I clean it everytime. I had some of that copper paint stuff but ran out. I have taking off the cover five times so far and each time the leak will move to another area? First down the tranny, then by the cam gear, and then back to tranny side, then both sides, and last down the front.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Sounds like a pain. The other guys have suggested everything I could possibly think of. Check to make sure that your oil filter is on tight. If not then it will obviously leak on the tranny side. If it is leaking on the cam gear side, take the timing cover off, and verify that the gasket and sealer have been effectively utilized. I know it sounds odd, but maybe you might have missed a section. Remember, there is a lot of pressure under the the cover. Also, are you using a heavy weight oil or synthetic?
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

Vehicle
    Originally posted by zero.counter
    Sounds like a pain. The other guys have suggested everything I could possibly think of. Check to make sure that your oil filter is on tight. If not then it will obviously leak on the tranny side. If it is leaking on the cam gear side, take the timing cover off, and verify that the gasket and sealer have been effectively utilized. I know it sounds odd, but maybe you might have missed a section. Remember, there is a lot of pressure under the the cover. Also, are you using a heavy weight oil or synthetic?
    Well I put in new pistons and rings so I can't use synethic oil. I'm running 10W30 in the engine.