Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap/free Lowering

Vehicle
    Ford work Van
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    seriously dude, WHO is gonna spend 1k on their car for suspension upgrades?
    I am.. I will spend over a grand for a properly tuned suspension... think about it..

coilovers.... most go from 800 and up for a great coilover setup. but then there's strut bars, Roll bars, and camber stuff.
    sorry guys v8's rule

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    I've been laughin through this whole thread, well most of it. me and a buddy of mine were talking about this EXACT thing a day or 2 before the thread started. People used to do the cut spring thing as long as there have been springs, but ya gotta know how to do it or else you'll look like and ass. We had a guy that didn't cut them equally and his car sat alllll messed up. The best one is the guy who just put a sring compressor on his springs and left it there, the dude seriously lowered his car with spring compressors

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Never heard of anyone lowering with spring compressors but that's hilarious.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    trust me I'm 32 and everytime I think I've seen it all someone suprises me, why can't Darwinism just run its course. I've seen em cut, heated, flipped, held down with compressor, and 9 outta 10 they end up dicked up. Uneven cars, wheels that go / \ or \ /. Some peoples kids

Vehicle
    93 Prelude Si..shaved and bagged - 96 S10 bagged and bodydropped, 99 Suburban dropped 5/7 on 22s
    Bad camber / \ is not a result of cutting springs. If you drop a car two inches with cut springs or two inches with lowering springs the camber will be the same. And go measure any car with lowering springs, or even stock for that matter, I guarantee it doesn't sit level.
    It is just more noticeable when the tire is even with the wheelwell.

But, for people that don't know what they are doing and care about performance, I will always recommend doing it the right way. I just prefer the smooth ride of cut springs over the stiff ride of Koni's and springs.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    why are we even continuing this discussion. this very same thing has been discussed too many times to count.

this needs to be closed. sheesh.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    Originally posted by pearldrop
    But, for people that don't know what they are doing and care about performance, I will always recommend doing it the right way. I just prefer the smooth ride of cut springs over the stiff ride of Koni's and springs.
    Thats what I meant when I mentioned the camber Pearl, people not doing it right, or all theway right, in my opinion

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    one word of advise, DON'T DO IT! my friend did this and ruined his suspension components. he also blew the shocks out. another friend with a kia sephia did this and still has his cut springs. looks alright, but the ride is shit. he has it soooo low, its maybe enought room to fit your shoe under. its a bitch to jack up now. and not to mention it clunks realy bad. same with my other friend, but now he has eibachs. they are much better and he has correct springs to go with them. i think it was under $400 for all of it with installation. thats on a plymouth accliam.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    1987 LXi
    Just cut them...jsut dont use heat or take to long grinding/cutting (cause heat)

most lowering springs are just stock type cut shorter and painted.

just watch how much you cut...the suspension is made to work together...change one factor, and end up changing alot more.
    3rd Gen Accord Shirts and Stuff
    Some of my Drawings
    85 IROC Z28,TPI 355ci,700r4, 9.4:1 Aluminum pistons, COMP CAMS street/strip hyd roller cam, HYE TECH ported/polished heads, HOOKER Longtubes, Full 3 inch exaust NO Cat, TPIS alum fuel pressure reg, ACCEL distributor, custom programed chip from Performance Resource, Competition Engineering shocks. 10/90 front 50/50 back. Eibach drag springs up front. Auburn posi. SLP cold air induction and airfoil.batt relocated w/ kill switch.Still on street tires (Kuhmos all around)SOLD
    87 IROC Z28, TPI 350ci, 700R4, 3.42 Posi, 4 wheel disk, Completely Stock (Wrecked)

1987 LXi 2.0 auto

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    most lowering springs are just stock type cut shorter and painted.

You must be mis-informed. Lowering springs aren't just cut and painted. Lowering springs are stiffer than stock. If lowering springs were the same spring rate, your car would bottom out all the time since it's lower.
    Last edited by SteveDX89; 10-13-2003 at 11:56 AM.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Cutting a stock spring does produce a stiffer spring. Each coil deflects a certain amount for a given load. Removing coils means that the spring will deflect less for the same given load beacuse there will be fewer coils to compress that amount. Less deflection for the same force means that the spring is stiffer.
    Mike

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I agree it will get stiffer but nothing like a genuine lowering spring.