Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap/free Lowering

LX User

Cheap/free Lowering

Hey a friend of mine told me that I could lower my car temp by taking the coils out and just cut off a coil at a time until you get it the way you like it. Tell me if you thin that would work, if not why?.
    Tuner for life!
    Shadowz Car & Truck Club
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    it works, but the die hards will tell you not to do it. the reason behind this is that it weakens the springs and after a while they'll stop performing like they used to. I know a lot of people who have done it with out a problem. i myself did it on my friends car and its perfectly fine. If you just want to lower your car and dont care about the performance aspect of the lower ride then go for it but dont be suprised if it handles like crap and kills your shocks after a while.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Cutting springs makes you bounce mucho.
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

LX User
    yea well im just sayin that for temp untill i get the money for adjustible coilovers.
    Tuner for life!
    Shadowz Car & Truck Club
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

LX User
    O and i forgot to mention the left rear strut makes thi sqeeking noise.
    Tuner for life!
    Shadowz Car & Truck Club
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Don't bother, you'll just fuck up your car. Save your money and get the coilovers.

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Originally posted by tuner4life
    yea well im just sayin that for temp untill i get the money for adjustible coilovers.
    Potong Spring
    by Adian Yein Khalid

Actually, cutting springs if you are on a budget, contrary to popular belief, is OK, and a much better option than certain examples of lowering that I have seen such as heating up the coils and compressing them!! Springs must never be put under a blow-torch, as it will result in the metal properties breaking down and the springs losing their firmness. If you do intend to lower your standard springs, just cut them with an angle grinder.

Cut springs are actually harder than std springs!
    Why? The Coil Rate is the same, but the less number of coils in a spring, the harder the spring (Spring Rate increases). It doesn't make sense but its true. The equation, in words, is something like:

Spring Rate= (Gd^4)/(8ND^3)

G = torsional modules for steel = 11.25x10^6 or 11,250,000
    d = wire diameter in inches
    N = number of active coils
    D = mean coil diameter
    8 = a constant for all coil srpings

So in words, Spring Rate is the the function of the torsional modules for steel and wire diameter to the power of 4, over the coil spring constant times number of active coils times mean coil diameter.

- this formula only works for linear rate springs.
    - to determine the number of active coils, count only those that can move.
    - coils that are resting on mounting plates do not count as active.
    - wire diameter can be acurately deterimined using a caliper
    - mean coil diameter is achieved by measuring the outside and inside diamater of the coil spring from above.
    - torsional module only works for steel, other materials such as titanium requires another factor.

If thats difficult to understand, lets just say that Spring Rate = wire diameter of coil / number of active coils X mean coild diameter.

So, look at that equation: the number of coils in the spring, as the denominator, means that the less coils in a spring, the harder it is.

BUT....

When you cut a spring, you must think about:
    1) Less travel before the shock absorbers hit the bump stop. You don't want that for a road car, handling gets erratic when the suspension bottoms out (spring rate hits infinity!). By the way, never discard the bump stops as bottoming-out without bump stops harmst he suspension more.
    2) Another set of standard springs for when you sell the car
    3) Can your standard absorbers cope with the increased hardness of the springs?
    4) And, cutting springs means that you don't have total control over the height. Cut too much, and you cant put them back!
    5) Never lower your car more then 2 inches, maximum. More than that and the geometry changes drastically, and you car will handle worse, resulting in what is known as roll-oversteer. Excessive lowering also results in your CV joints suffering increased wear.

I still would not do it though, anything could go wrong. Cheap is not always good.

Structural integrity of the spring will be compromised. and could fail at any given moment regardless of mathematical probabilities.

Good luck with whatever you do!
    Last edited by zero.counter; 09-29-2003 at 02:58 PM.
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    only after a year (or more) will cut springs begin to bounce.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    only after a year (or more) will cut springs begin to bounce.
    Is that fact or opinion? Based on personal experience or word of mouth?

I cut the springs on my first car, a toyota startlett back in the early 90s and it bounced like hell after the first couple of days. I was branded the, "Lowrider Wannabe", by my fellow classmates and team members.
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

LX User
    How much would all prefer to lower it like the most possible without getting high centered on speen bumps. Cuz it just depends ive found that the lowest i can lower my car the cheaper.
    Tuner for life!
    Shadowz Car & Truck Club
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by zero.counter
    Is that fact or opinion? Based on personal experience or word of mouth?

kinda both. My friend cut his springs in his '03 protoge and it rode like it had custom springs in it. Now a year later its rides kinda bumpy, but its not that bad.

Originally posted by tuner4life
    How much would all prefer to lower it like the most possible without getting high centered on speen bumps. Cuz it just depends ive found that the lowest i can lower my car the cheaper.
    I cut the springs in my buddies 88 civic sedan. We cut 2 coils off the car and now there's about a 1" wheel gap now. I wouldnt cut more then 3 coils off or else you'll start to run into (litteraly) speed bumps and stuff. Whoever had my car before me went with the heated springs option and i would agree 100% that is the WORST way to do it. All 4 springs are different lengths. It rides OK, but even cut springs would help performance.

Until i decide to put the money toward new springs i'd probably go with the cut option just because i'm a cheap ass and would rather spend the money to make it go fast as apposed to cornering as best as possible.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    If you can't afford to lower your car properly, you won't be able to afford go fast goodies. If you can't outrun somebody, you gotta out handle them.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    I wouldn't recomend cutting them.
    Also, I don't recomend coilovers, they are too stiff for any struts.
    your best bet would be to wait till you have money and buy this
    http://www.justairbagit-store.com/pr...t.asp&ID=23891
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    They don't mention anywhere on that page to use aftermarket struts. I hope people don't think they can use those with stock struts.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Man, do not listen to these guys, If you want it lowered for free just cut the damn springs. It may not be the best idea, but it works.
    Last edited by k-roy; 09-29-2003 at 09:20 PM.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    dont cut em. a good drop costs about 600-1000 when all is said and done. just dont . you will damage your cars suspension too much. think baout it. will you honestly be able to save up the cash in a short amount of time? or will stuff keep poping up and you will just keep riding aroud on cut springs that cant handel the wieght of the car

-Travis-

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Exactly as zero described above, cutting the springs a small amount hurts nothing. Since there is a smaller number of coils the spring rate is somewhat higher (for a given load the spring will deflect less now). As long as the springs are cut and not exessively heated they are as safe as they are with the extra coil or two.

The problem is that the stiffer springs require stronger damping to control them. Cut springs don't cause the bouncy ride, the overpowered or blown stock struts allow the car to bounce.
    Mike

LX User
    yea if its just going to mess up my Susp then i dont know if i want to do it. I'll just save up and buy coilovers or something like that.
    Tuner for life!
    Shadowz Car & Truck Club
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by 3g Jester
    dont cut em. a good drop costs about 600-1000 when all is said and done.
    seriously dude, WHO is gonna spend 1k on their car for suspension upgrades? Thats a little far fetched. All this strut mumbo jumbo may be technically correct, but jeez, its not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. In a perfect world we'd all be buying revalved bilsteins or konis, but 90% of us dont care if the suspension is perfect. Most of the people on this board just wanna lower their car and dont really care about the perfect or 'most correct' way of lowering their car. I'm not gonna be auto xing my shit, so i dont need it to handle like a ferarri. cheap springs will do me just fine.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Well if you get coilovers you will need to get revalved Blistens to handle the stiff springs. The will be about $800 right there. I spent $560 on my set up and I have shitting coilovers and Koni Reds.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    thats what i priced it out to be. but dont remember waht i figured in now that you raise the point. i probably figured in rims and tires too. whole suspension upgrade

-Travis-

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    I'm not gonna be auto xing my shit, so i dont need it to handle like a ferarri. cheap springs will do me just fine.
    I has ZERO to do with performance and everything to do with turning a great car into a shitty car. Yeah their are people that don't give hoot about how their car ride's and drives. But do not underestimate just how bad it will be if you just run any old strut with lowering springs. Don't care, FINE. I get to clean up the mess that members get themselves into. Over the year's here, I've gotten pm after pm, "help my car drives like crap, I should have listened to you". I have always been more than happy to help and straighten things out. The advice in this section of the board has always been that way, tell them the facts, if they don't listen or don't care that's ok, just know, we told you better. Lowering for looks and nothing else is one thing, keeping your lowered suspension as good as the rest of the car is something else. I don't set the prices, it's not my fault that it cost's as much as it does. In a perfect world, one could get KYB AGX sturts for $385 and be able to run pretty much all the lowering products you can get for the 3g and run them dang well. But we can't do that, which really sucks, always has always will. I made mistake's when I first lowered my 3g, I vowed to not let other member make those same mistake's for lack of information.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    sounds like the swap vs turbo argument. ive done both. the turbo kicks the swaps ass.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Well I have been in a 3g with cut springs and it is worse them my car with Dropzones and Konis.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    93 Prelude Si..shaved and bagged - 96 S10 bagged and bodydropped, 99 Suburban dropped 5/7 on 22s
    Cutting springs takes practice to get it right.
    I have a set of H&R's for my accord, but I keep the cut springs in it. Why? Because the car is an inch lower with the cut springs and it still rides better.
    I have no complaints about the way my car rides. Most people can't even tell it is lowered until I scrape on something.
    But if you are into performance, of course you should do it the right way.
    I've had Koni yellows with H&R's and Sprint Springs and I didn't like the way it rode... but that is my personal preference. I would take my cut spring ride any day over the ride with the Koni's.