Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your lowered car's front end to high? Here's a fix to drop the front 1/2"

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp

Is your lowered car's front end to high? Here's a fix to drop the front 1/2"

Ok, I saved the front pinch forks off my wrecked 3g for a reason. Someday I planned to cut a 1/2" off the top of them. I've alway's known it's a way to get a 1/2" of extra drop out of the front. No spring cutting this way and it doesn't effect your front strut travel at all since the sturt itself is sitting a 1/2" lower.

I used a meter saw with a $4 metal cutting blade, a piece of scrap wood, some scrap paper as shime's to level the pinch fork and a L square to make sure the cut was nice, level and straight. My goal was to cut off the top and leave enough metal for the pinch fork bolt to still function properly. I also used a C clamp to hold the part once I had it all straitened up. Do the cut's nice and slow, making sure nothing moves on you.

1. Notice the difference, cut down on the left, uncut on the right.

2. Here you can see the top of the cut down pinch fork. (I later cut down the other one to prove to myself I could repeat the process).

3. Here's the setup with the saw, C-clamp, and L-square.

4. Oh, here's the blade I used.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Awesome work Jim! Very ingenious. I think I will give it a shot when I put the Bilsteins on.

Vehicle
    Jim, you still drive a 3gee at heart.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

Accord of the Year - 2006

Jim I have a question for you.

I 'm not looking at my car right now but do you think the strut bottom might get too close to the cv axle boot?

It might not but I was just wondering.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by Grant2k
    Jim, you still drive a 3gee at heart.
    I loved driving my 3g, I mean I loved to push it handling wise, it was really really fun. I have to deeply respect a car that was that much fun to fling aroung. And not to get off topic, but ya know, what,.......... the car I have now is fun to (well dah ) but as opposed to the 3g, now I gotta worry about getting to insane speeds when having fun. Not something that was a problem with the 3g, it was a challenge to get the speed up, but that was part of the fun, now its a worry. Ya, sometime's, in spite of what I drive now, I do miss my 3g.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads

Now I d

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by guaynabo89
    Jim I have a question for you.

I 'm not looking at my car right now but do you think the strut bottom might get too close to the cv axle boot?

It might not but I was just wondering.
    Well I've arranged for 2old honda to test them for that. I'm sending him the pinch forks I modified and I've asked him to check the clearances. I'm hoping their will be room to spare, cause I know of another mod that nets another 1/2" that would drop the strut another 1/2" down. Providing their is space to do that.

Now I d

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    Hey Jim, I may be wrong but isnt there a groove on the strut for the bolt to go through that keeps the strut from backing out when the bolt is in the fork? I may be off on this but i thought i remember the bolt only going in a certain way because of this.

But if not that would be a good way to drop it a bit too bad mine is still way to high for me. Iv been debating on going with GC's even though i dont care for sleeve style coilovers but i probably wouldnt spend the $1400 or so if they did make real ones anyhow. But i rode in 88Lxi68's car this summer after we did he LS/Vtec and the GS's and Koni's seemed like a very good combination.

Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
    I know of another mod that nets another 1/2" that would drop the strut another 1/2" down. Providing their is space to do that.
    What exactly would this other mod be?

Vehicle
    1988 Accord Coupe EX-i and a '73 Turbo Ford Pinto Wagon
    very good idea. i can't wait to see if it works.
    A little nonsense now and then
    is relished by the wisest men.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    What exactly would this other mod be?
    It's a mod on the front struts themselves.

1. Remove the cast on stops that normally determine how far the strut sit's in the pinch fork.

2. Removal of the cast on brake line hangers.

The strut body naturally gets fatter 1/2 inch up from the original cast on stop, that fatter point of the body, become's your new stop for the pinch fork.

To replace the brake line hangers on could grab a set of 92-95 civic front brake line hangers as they are a seperate part that can be cut in half, wrapped about your strut and tach welded in place. I have one I think someplace in my garage,....I think.

Vehicle
    93 Prelude Si..shaved and bagged - 96 S10 bagged and bodydropped, 99 Suburban dropped 5/7 on 22s
    I did this on the Prelude and I haven't had any problems at all. Remember that if you take off a half inch at the strut it will make much more than that at the wheel. I got over an inch extra by cutting a half inch off the wishbone.

I am using air cylinders so I don't have any problems with the struts fitting but that slot for the bolt can be recreated with a hammer and a big screwdriver. It just needs to make room for the bolt so the strut won't be able to turn in the mount.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by pearldrop
    I did this on the Prelude and I haven't had any problems at all. Remember that if you take off a half inch at the strut it will make much more than that at the wheel. I got over an inch extra by cutting a half inch off the wishbone.
    It shouldn't double, that's really really weird.

What about what RobT5580 said about the indentation for the bolt not lining up.

HOw do you keeep the srut from backing out of the fork wihout the bolt?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    What about what RobT5580 said about the indentation for the bolt not lining up.

HOw do you keeep the srut from backing out of the fork wihout the bolt?
    Grind off that dimple line up thing if you have to. The strut is not sloped as to squeez out, it's straight. Beside's the pinch fork will be clamping down on it and you have the springs with the weight of the car bearing down. That struts not going to come up. I always thought the bolt dent occured after the install.

I sent out the modified pinch forks to 2old-honda yesterday. He got them for free, he was nice enough to repay me for shipping. He'll let us know how they work out.

Now I d

Sounds like a plan.

I hpoe he takes before and after pics.

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    wow thats a great idea man...I dont think the cv axle will cause any probs though...I dont see the forks going that low,maybe under a hard bump though

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Do we have any updates on this?

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Originally posted by HostileJava
    Well he allready sold a set of them and I haven't heard of any complaints. I'm going to do the same when I can find the time.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Originally posted by HostileJava
    He sent them to 2old_honda who now has them on his car. Check out his thread and pics of them on the car

long overdue pics of Jims cut pinch forks on my car
    Last edited by Vinny; 11-06-2003 at 10:11 AM.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yea thats right 2old_honda. The name slipped my mind.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord 1989 chevy monte ss 1991 gtp 1959 hd flathead
    i might give this a shoot .. once i find out more ....
    www.customandsound.comFOR ALL YOUR POLISHING AND COATING NEED'S !!!!
    Custom And Sound Check it out !!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    1986 HONDA ACCORD LX 2.0
    1. question: will this trick work wit stock suspension?
    { U DONT OWN YOUR 3G IT OWNS U }

Vehicle
    89 Lx-i
    sure it would. the pinch fork still holds the strut in a stock set up
    Chris

click the car to see my picture archives

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

Re: Is your lowered car's front end to high? Here's a fix to drop the front 1/2"

sorry to bring back from dead, can someone please post pics???
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Re: Is your lowered car's front end to high? Here's a fix to drop the front 1/2"

i can tell you it works killer. fixed mine right up. Plus it takes longer to put together and pull aprt than to do thew mod. Jim used a hot saw(chop saw) I used a portable band saw since thats what I had available. Just square the stock top perpindicular to the blade. Give yourself a little room and chop away. Hell try a hacksaw