Thread: Large puff of smoke

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback

Large puff of smoke

My car doesn't smoke while driveing but if I drive for maybe 10 min. or so then park the car, turn it off and about an hour later come back and start it up. A large puff of smoke come bellowing out. I drive a way and its fine...no smoke. Is this normal...it dosent effect the performace of my car from what I can tell.
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    1987 Accord LX (Canadian)
    Dude.. that just doesn't sound right.
    87 Honda Accord LX (AT, 159600 Kilometres)
    Color: Dark Metallic Blue
    Audio: Panasonic 60x4 Dot Matrix Display Head Unit, Alpine Type-R SPR-134A 5'1/4" 2-way front speakers, Alpine Type-R SPR-174A 6'1/2" 2-way rear speakers, 1 Alpine V12 300 watt amplifier, 1 Alpine Type-R 1240-D Subwoofer (enclosed box)
    Appearance:5''x3'' driving/fog lamps
    Performance: Nothing to speak of yet.

Vehicle
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 87 Hybrid Civic, 76 Chevy Blazer, 2000 Jetta, 1985 Civic sedan
    Vlave guide seals it sounds like to me. When you stop the warm oil drips past the seal and into the cylinder and when you start it up it burns away. Common with older vehicles.
    "AAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster." Quote by Homer Simpson

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, Pontiac Sunfire Convertible, & 1979 Corvette
    I agree with that diagnosis Doctor. :pimp:

Vehicle
    Originally posted by 87Hybrid
    Vlave guide seals it sounds like to me. When you stop the warm oil drips past the seal and into the cylinder and when you start it up it burns away. Common with older vehicles.
    Is this something to really worry about? If so what would be involved in correcting the problem. As I said before it doesn't "seem" to effect the performance also it doesn't do it ALL the time. Thanks for the help
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    Weber'd LX
    mine does the same thign every once in a great long while (car has to sit for a few days) but yeah Hybrid is right. Unless its doing it all the time, or your losing an inordinate amount of oil I wouldnt be too conscerned.
    Accord has been replaced with a 2004 Solara SE Sport with 3.3 VVT-i V6...man does that car move...

Vehicle
    Originally posted by Don87LX
    mine does the same thign every once in a great long while (car has to sit for a few days) but yeah Hybrid is right. Unless its doing it all the time, or your losing an inordinate amount of oil I wouldnt be too conscerned.
    NICE! My oil is A.O.K and always has been. (knock on WOOD) I'll be sure to post some questions if it gets bad.
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 87 Hybrid Civic, 76 Chevy Blazer, 2000 Jetta, 1985 Civic sedan
    Dont worry about it unless you start using larger amounts of oil or start getting excessive blowby.
    "AAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster." Quote by Homer Simpson

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx - automatic-carb
    Might be valve guide seals, but your say LARGE puff of smoke. More likely valve guides. If it's seals and you have an air compressor & valve spring compressor, the seals an be redone with the cyl head on the car. Bad valve guides requires cyl. head removal.

Pull your spark plugs. Are they oil soaked? If so, I'd suspect guides.
    Lester

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)
    my older 88 LX smokes now and then. It seems to be a combination of drive habit before park and sheer luck. I suspect one seal is bad, and if the engine happens to stop with that valve open, some oil can leak by. Plugs are clean, but I worry about the converter health for long term. It seemed to be much worse in cold weather, which points to vlave seals. Considering the valve cover gasket was baked in place ( I had to repalce the cover!) I wouldn't be surprised if the seals were brittle. I can dela with it for now. Not a good thing to happen in an underground garage, so I take the "newer" 88 when I go to NYC. As staed, you can change the seals if you have lots of compressed air, but I believe the rokcers have to come out. that's a bit too much work for now.