Thread: Tapping into parking lights?

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB

Tapping into parking lights?

I got some H4 conversions off eBay and they kick ass, and they also have the blue lights in them so I want to hook those up to my parking lights. I can't find an easy way to tap into the wiring without pulling out the whole headlight again, is there an easier way? Basically I need the location of the wires to tap into. Thanks!:pimp:
    I like to think of my car as a sleeper. Sometimes it seems like it is sleeping.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Anybody

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    i ran my foglights thru my corner lights (parking lights, running lights, whatever u wanna call em) with a lil plastic thing that allows u to splice to wires together without cutting. If u just ran your blue light wire that same way, i think itd work great.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, just take the wires from the blue lights in the headlights and wire them to your side markers using a splicer you can pick up at any autoparts store. The only things is they will blink when you turn your signals or hazard lights on.

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    they wouldnt necessarily blink, if the wire was run to the light that shines forward on the assembly, it wouldnt blink.

Vehicle
    '13 Civic Si 4dr / 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd
    Find the switch for parking lights you can run it off the parking lights (side markers) or you can run a switch inside the car.
    on the parking lights (side markers) there are 3 wires running to it...

Negative (usually black)
    Positive (usually red)
    Constant (usually yellow)

Option 1:

Find out with of the 2 wires that carry power is the one that comes on with your parking light switch.
    Connect the positive of the running lights that positive and the negative to the running lights negative and they will work when you run your paking lights.

Option 2

Run the running lights positive wire to a fuse inside the cabin to go on when the car turns on such as the radio fuse for example. And ground the negative to the chasis or the battery negative.

If the cops are jerks around where you live like they are here, you can just pop your headlights back down if you see one. That is if you can't have illegal colors in your lights (green blue red etc.)

Hope this helps........

-Nelson
    Your 4MB signature image has been deleted.
    ^And I'm going to leave it that way.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Thanks guys, just the info I needed. I ended up hooking the blue lights up to the rectangular parking lights pointing forward in the bumper and it worked great. This looks illegal as shit! But when my headlights are on at night, the blue lights don't seem to be noticeable, which is a good thing. Don't really need to get pulled over now... apparently I have no license.

Vehicle
    They only light up when your turning or you have your hazards on, at least that's the way it's setup in my hatch and coupe.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Mine are on as long as the parking lights are on. With the lights down and the parking lights on, there is a blue line in front of each headlight that looks killer!

Vehicle
    I wonder if someone wired them that way before you bought the car, as far as I know that is not stock.

Vehicle
    93 Prelude Si..shaved and bagged - 96 S10 bagged and bodydropped, 99 Suburban dropped 5/7 on 22s
    Do not run foglights off of the parking lights without using a relay. They draw way too much power and will catch your car on fire. I know a girl who did this and it melted all the wires from the parking light to the ECU together and I had to cut out and replace every single wire. She is lucky her car didn't completely fry.

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    well mine are disconnected right now cuz one light blew, and when i hook them back up, i will prolly do it the way its supposed to be done. I had them run that way cuz the dumbass who had my car before just soldered the wires to the switch, and they all broke off.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Does the little 194 bulbs that are used draw that much power, like enough to melt the wires? Y'all are scarin me...

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    ive never had a problem with burning up wires. And ive had my foglights hooked up like that for a while, even actually on my old 3g as well. I doubt u will have a problem cuz i dont think those bulbs draw much power.

Vehicle
    Originally posted by pearldrop
    Do not run foglights off of the parking lights without using a relay. They draw way too much power and will catch your car on fire. I know a girl who did this and it melted all the wires from the parking light to the ECU together and I had to cut out and replace every single wire. She is lucky her car didn't completely fry.
    He's not talking about fogs, just powering those little lights that change the color of the headlights, the cheaper ones have very low current draw.

Vehicle
    '13 Civic Si 4dr / 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd
    yeah you cold have them run for a few days or so and start your car up without any issues, he means 55w fog lights, yellow/blue/white aftermarket ones you will have issues with leaving on for a long time..... I 've doen that a few times and been stranded w/o power to my car.....
    Your 4MB signature image has been deleted.
    ^And I'm going to leave it that way.

1. city lights are only like 5 watts, you don't need a relay
    2. it's best to run them to the little grey light between the orange blinker and headlight
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau