Thread: Alternator?

Vehicle
    '83 Accord and yeah, I know it's a 2G okay?

Alternator?

Yesterday my "battery" light lit up on my dashboard . . . I was hoping it wasn't the alternator, but today, on my way to work my lights were getting dim while I was driving and the horn would barely "honk" . . .

. . . guess it's time for a new alternator?

. . . any suggestions or special tips when I replace it or where I should get it? I was considering going to Advance Auto Parts for the new/refurbished one.

BTW - for those who don't know - it's an '83 Accord and YES, I realize it's a 2G.

Thanks very much,

IPF
    Ummm . . . brella, I needanumbrella.

Vehicle
    1987 LXi
    check the batery first (easy to remove/have checked)...maybe its not holding a charge.

then have altenantor checked.

could even be a wire/ connector that send the charge from alt to batt.

Drew
    3rd Gen Accord Shirts and Stuff
    Some of my Drawings
    85 IROC Z28,TPI 355ci,700r4, 9.4:1 Aluminum pistons, COMP CAMS street/strip hyd roller cam, HYE TECH ported/polished heads, HOOKER Longtubes, Full 3 inch exaust NO Cat, TPIS alum fuel pressure reg, ACCEL distributor, custom programed chip from Performance Resource, Competition Engineering shocks. 10/90 front 50/50 back. Eibach drag springs up front. Auburn posi. SLP cold air induction and airfoil.batt relocated w/ kill switch.Still on street tires (Kuhmos all around)SOLD
    87 IROC Z28, TPI 350ci, 700R4, 3.42 Posi, 4 wheel disk, Completely Stock (Wrecked)

1987 LXi 2.0 auto

Vehicle
    87 LX
    I say sand down all the electrical connections and have the battery checked at the parts store (free) before you spend any cash. I have a refurb alternator from Autozone and it is perfectly fine. It was a real bitch to install. I had to remove my driveshaft to be able to get it out. I managed to pull on the end like an idiot witch tore apart the CV joint. I was pissed because I had to shell out another 75 bucks, but it really did need replaced and it was setup to have the new one popped in anyway. Oh yea, I did all of that at 3am in 2 feet of snow in 10 degree weather. It was warmer at night because there was no wind unlike the daytime. Just like another user has in his sig, OHIO SUCKS!!!
    ------------------

Vehicle
    Ford work Van
    It is your alternator. What will happen is all the light will come on and then you'll be able to drive for about another 2 hrs or so before it limps dead. It's best to take it right away to a auto parts place and have them check to make sure before battery gets damaged..
    sorry guys v8's rule

Vehicle
    93 Integra LS-S
    Dude, wherever you choose to get your alternator, make sure it's new and it's got a lifetime warranty with it. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Street racing is for idiots.

Vehicle
    '83 Accord and yeah, I know it's a 2G okay?
    Thanks everyone . . . I just got back from Advance Auto Parts and they checked it (for free, of course) and while it was running at 2000 rpm they said it's only putting out ~11 volts, thus the alternator is "on it's way out" (or so they said) . . . the good news is a new one (rebuilt?) is only $53 and they can have it in their store first thing in the morning . . .

. . . guess that's what I'll do . . .

. . . could be worse, eh?
    Ummm . . . brella, I needanumbrella.