Thread: Vacuum Leak between Weber adapter and intake man.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX

Vacuum Leak between Weber adapter and intake man.

I just found out I have a pretty big vacuum leak where the adapter plate mates up with the intake manifold. I have a spare intake manifold that I want to do the "weber customization" to. I can't have my Accord out of comission so I will need to get a new adapter to use as a template or I could have a machine shop gut the intake manifold out and then grind the correct size for the weber. I would really prefer not to buy another adapter. So if any other carb guru's have a scaned copy or a template already made then that would be great if you could email me the picture. Or if you want to sell your adapter that would be cool too.

This is a time sensitive thing b/c my car is running like crap and I want a new muffler b/c it's too loud for me now. And I lost my silencer on the highway (bolts rattled loose and pop goes the silencer )

Thanks guys,
    Mike

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    did you try using gasket maker? it is like a silicone. i love it. I use it for almost everything.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    That was the first thing I said to my instructor at the college and he just about hit me upside the head. He told me I'm not going to help you do this if you're not going to do it right. He is the fix the problem kinda of guy not just fix the symtom. I hope someone either has a scanned copy of the adapter or has one they don't need or want that I can buy. I just looked at the new ones and they're $67. I should try and find that nitrous plate and weld that to the manifold (Nah I just want to fix the problem, I'm not going to add anymore $$$$ performance parts to the Accord since I got the lude to start fixing up.) I just got some more high performance parts for the lude today

Vehicle
    so what exactly is the problem with your adapter plate?
    how did it start to leak?
    what was the cause?
    Alex.

Vehicle
    Well I was just looking at the adapter plate and I guess I will need one so I will be able to put the carb onto the manifold. I didn't notice that the carb base was smaller. I think I know why it started to leak. I think it was the gasket was bad. This mechanic that put it in wrecked the gasket that came with it and he used a piece of cardboard type stuff to make a new one. Well I guess that was it and now I need to replace it. Does anyone have a carb adapter they want to sell or has an actual size pic of the adapter so I know how much of the intake manifold I need to grind out. I'm also doing the Weber custom manifold while I'm doing the repair so I need to get a copy of that template. Hmmm.... I suppose I could buy a gasket from www.carbsunlimited.com if they have them and then use that as a template. I used the parts washer at school and the manifold looks nice. Then I think I will get a stock intake manifold gasket and cut it so it mates up with the newly designed manifold.

-Mike

Do you guys think this is a good plan?

Vehicle
    go to NAPA and buy big sheet of gasket material. you can cut it to the size you want it.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    I don't want to use gasket paper. I want a thick steel mesh w/graphite coated gasket. Did A20A1 disappear? I thought he'd be posting on here. Maybe PhydeauX has a pic of the adapter.

-Mike

Vehicle
    mike (A20A1) is gone for a while. he doesn't know when he will be back.
    i thought you can buy graphite gasket in big sizes.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    I went to napa a longtime ago and all they had was gasket paper. I think you can buy the graphite gasket paper but I dont know of a place in my town. Maybe online. What happend to him? You can tell me in a pm or MSN if you want.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Have you tried tightening the bolts again. How thick is the gasket you are using? I had a leak once, it whistled really loud for a while... so I just tightened it all back down. If you want something permanent, buy the metal putty / bonding agent. and roll it into spagetti like strands then outline the opening of the plate with about 3 rings for each plate. then tighten the plate to the manifold as tight as it will go and let it set for 15minuets. Don't use gaskets though if you make it permanent.
    - llia