Thread: Need Help Installing Fuel Filter> Asap!

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Exclamation Need Help Installing Fuel Filter> Asap!

I cant figure out how to get the damn fuel lines out of the top of this stupid fuel filter, and I desperately need to get my new one in. Someone help me please. I wish I had a hanes manual right now.

Oh and by the way, its for my 89 se-i. Its in such a bad spot too.

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

Vehicle
    I am stuck... someone please help. I cannot get the second fitting off the top of the fuel filter so I can remove the fuel lines. I got the first one, which was easy enough with a socket, just took some force... but the second one is such a wierd fuckin shape, that I just cant get it, and its in such a bad place too. I REALLY NEED HELP!!!... i need to finish this before thursday so that I can take my car for the stereo install!.

Vehicle
    Ford work Van
    for the rear filter, you need to take it out along with the holder it's in. you need to take a pair of pliers and pull off the fuel line to it. It takes some wiggling around but you'll get it off.

I have changed my filter countless times when I had thought it was the problem with my sputtering at midrange power.

Just take your time and study how it comes loose and everything.
    sorry guys v8's rule

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx-I 4 dr
    I thought that fuel injected only had the one filter in the engine bay, i may be wrong. But if you are trying to change the one in the bay, if it is the same as the 87 i have, i just unbolted it so i could get to it easy. Took like 10 sec to unbolt and was alot easier.
    "Mess with the best, Die like the rest."

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    This may not be the safest activity but it's how I removed that bolt you're talking about:

Get a combination wrench (one open end, one closed end) that fits the width(paralell sides) of the elongated head. It's either a 15 or 17 mm. Place open end of the wrench on top of the bolt so that the wrench is completely vertical. Take a second open end wrench and place it in the closed end of the vertical wrench so that you can use it as a handle to turn the bolt loose. THere's a certain way the wrench will fit but you'll know once you've got it. Try to hold the first wrench as vertical as possible when turning the second wrench and eventually it will break loose. This is called "Double wrenching and is generally frowned upon when speaking of safe working practices. The longer the wrench the better. It gives you more leverage which means less elbow grease to break the bolt loose. If you don't have the proper size wrench to fit the bolt, you could use a crescent wrench but only as a last resort (bigger risk of slippage which equals busted knuckles). It's jerry-rigging at it's finest but it works for me. Hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

Vehicle
    well, the new filter is in, along with the washers, wich mine didnt have. and for some reason when I start up the car, right at where the fuel line (i dont know which one it is) connects the fitting to go on the filter, it is spraying everywhere. Now I am scared, and the dealer says they can take a "look" at it, on fucking tuesday!!!!!! ... aND i am supposed to get my system installed tommorow!.. someone please help/

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Your filter did not come with the copper washers? How many washers did you use? There sould have been 5 of them. Two for each side of the banjo bolts and 1 smaller one for the service bolt. If you did not install all of these washers and they were not copper, I would suspect that is your problem.

Also, I would go to the parts store and DEMAND the washers for that fuel filter. They should have came with them. I have yet to replace one that did not. Sometimes the auto parts stores will restock parts without looking at them first to make sure everything is there.
    Last edited by Dibbs; 10-16-2003 at 04:48 AM.
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    If you still have problems shoot me an email and I'll send you the manual pages and the breakdown aof what goes where. You need to take it all back apart again. Make sure your hard line with the 6mm service bolt is setting flush in the bracket. Alsom make sure you have 1 washer under the fuel line on the filter side and another washer on the top side of the fuel line under the banjo bolts. The last washer goes between the banjo bolt and the service bolt. Oh and to answer your ??? from earlier even though you already got the filetr out and lines off the odd shaped banjo bolt "should" take a 12mm open end whench to break it loose I think I slid a wrench ir vise grips under the bracket so I could hold the filter and get leverage to turn the odd shaped banjo bolt with a 12mm open end

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Originally posted by Vinny
    Oh and to answer your ??? from earlier even though you already got the filetr out and lines off the odd shaped banjo bolt "should" take a 12mm open end whench to break it loose I think I slid a wrench ir vise grips under the bracket so I could hold the filter and get leverage to turn the odd shaped banjo bolt with a 12mm open end
    That's probably a better way to do it. I'm just more ghetto than vinny :smokin:

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    You know I refuse to ghetto LOL

See if this pic helps ya any

If you look under where your lines go on the filter itself you'll see that you can get an open and in there to hold the filter while you tighten the banjo bolts on the fittings

Vehicle
    Thanks for the help guys, but I got the filter in, but I think the fuel line is the probelm now, so its on its way to get fixed. I wont deal with that crap.

Also, I would go to the parts store and DEMAND the washers for that fuel filter. They should have came with them.
    That parts store is my work. We realized that it didnt come with the washers, so I went and got some from another one. But like I said, the fuel line is the problem now, so I should have it fixed tommorow.