Thread: Front suspension = $900?

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX, Carb, AT

Front suspension = $900?

So I've been quoted $540 for my front upper control arms and $360 to replace my front lower ball joints... That's roughly a third of how much the car cost me... How tough of a job it this to do yourself? How much would the parts cost? Good places to buy them?

Thanks

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX 5spd
    I am about to change my upper control arms. Probably within the next week or so. It doesn't look like it will be to tough of a job.

The upper control arms will run you about $70 a piece + $10 for bushings if you need them at autozone.

The lower ball joints have to be pressed in. You can rent a ball joint press at autozone and the ball joints will run you about $27 a piece.

Hope this helps.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    i changed out my upper control arm by myself and i am a idiot when it comes to working on cars!

dunno about the lowers though.

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    If you're replacing the lower ball joints and control arms, then you can use a cheap pickle fork to separate them, instead of a puller. Much easier and cheaper. I did my own upper control arms & lower ball joints. I had a shop press the lower joints out & in again, as well as one wheel bearing.

Make sure to check the wheel bearings for play when you have the axles out. They have to be pressed out & in again with the steering knuckle off the car. They run about $60.
    Nothin' extra

I had my lower balljoints and axles replaced for 600 dollars. My uppers were fine, and make sure they aren't scamming you with the uppers. The uppers may appear loose since your lowers are bad.