Thread: TAK Bounces, WTF!!!! Need Help!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK

TAK Bounces, WTF!!!! Need Help!

When I drive on the highway or at speed (around 3000 rpm) the tach starts to "TICK". It bounces up to 4000 rpm and then back down to 3000 RPM. There is no pattern to the bouncing ...its random!

ALSO...I know sometimes the alternator causes the tak to do something like this....my alternator is new so no prob!

It all started when I installed a used distributor to replace my old one that went bunk!

Here is what I notice...when I'm flooring it around 3000 RPM and the needle starts to jump around there is a change in engine power. SMALL...but a change none the less. I think this is related to timing?!?!?!

When the needle starts to bounce the ignition timing is changed.

Is there any way the ignition timing from the dist and the tak signal are related?

1988starter
    sounds like your distributer is dieing but check your timing first.

LX User
    Vehicle
    my timing holds at idle or 2 grand but so does the TAK needle. It ONLY jumps when I hit 3-3.5 grand. If the needle is resting in that area it will jump!

I guess I can get a buddy to hold the gas down a little when I check the timing. My old dist could not hold timing at any rpm. The timing would jump + and - like 10 degrees about 2 times per second...no pattern....so yeah...that dist was toast!

Also my old dist CAP was full of bearing dust!

1988starter
    Originally posted by BootMachine
    my timing holds at idle or 2 grand but so does the TAK needle. It ONLY jumps when I hit 3-3.5 grand. If the needle is resting in that area it will jump!

I guess I can get a buddy to hold the gas down a little when I check the timing. My old dist could not hold timing at any rpm. The timing would jump + and - like 10 degrees about 2 times per second...no pattern....so yeah...that dist was toast!

Also my old dist CAP was full of bearing dust!
    Mine did the exact thing at 3K it was the distributer $197 at autozone lifetime warenty

LX User
    Vehicle
    OK....I'm going to replace the dist, plugs, cap, rotor and wires!

DONE AND DONE!