Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which intake manifold is the best upgrade for a turbo A20?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Which intake manifold is the best upgrade for a turbo A20?

I want something better than the 86/87 piece, and also better than the 2 stage 88/89 piece. Here's what I know: Longer runners= lower resonant frequency, shorter runners=higher resonant frequency, and runner length being the same, a larger plenum lowers the resonant frequency, while of course a smaller pleneum raises the resonant frequency. When I say "resonant frequency", I mean the frequency of the pulses of air traveling back and forth through the runners. The resonant frequency directly affects the volumetric efficiency of the engine at that rpm. (Have you ever built a tuned ported sub box? The exact same principles apply, and you can see how this works with any box building program on your computer) With a turbo engine, however, things get different, because now the air in the manifold is compressed, at a higher density, and just like a stiffer spring, vibrates at a higher frequency. This is why turbo engines make more power with a larger plenum, because the larger plenum gets the resonant frequency back down into the engine's operating rpm range. So, what manifold has a nice large plenum and long straight runners, and is compatible with the A20? Actually, first ,what manifolds fit on the A20? I have heard that the bolt pattern is identical for the top bolts with the B16 manifold...? What are the differences between the B series manifolds? All I know is that the runners are WAY too short on the type R maifold. Is the GSR manifold a 2 stage? If so, fuck that. When I put my modified 2 stage 88/89 manifold on my car, it slowed it down...So far, the best looking manifold to me is the Skunk2 LS integra manifold, big plenum and long straight runners. I know that the manifold I want is not going to be intended for a high revving engine, like the type R, because the runners will be too short. How about the CRV B20 manifold? If any of you guys know anything about this, let me know, I'm taking my turbo A20 to the next level.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Edelbrock makes a intake for the B series that can be modified to fit the A20. I have seen one on a turbo 3g somewhere on this board. Do a search.
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...30&prmenbr=361
    ------------------

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    sean tuned his turbo ECM for the 86-87 Style, which he claims flows better than 88-89.

beyond that, i think justin used the jg edelbrock b18 manifold on his car.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Talk to 88turboaccord he used the edelbrock manifold,
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24875
    ------------------

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord Lx-i
    Dude, if you want more power do a motor swap with a B series and you can get anything and everything for it...
    - 01 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Flip down LCD screen and DVD player, 8000k HID's, Westin light bar w/ PIAA 520's, Custom Flowmaster cat-back.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by crwa
    Dude, if you want more power do a motor swap with a B series and you can get anything and everything for it...
    innocence is bliss ain't it?
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    b16 AIR manifold moded to fit the a20. Made 40hp more than the JG manifold, and it offers a better powerband.
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=652605

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord Lx-i
    NXracer, don't even start... I know turbo accords using a20's can become 10 second cars, but if you want yo be able to bolt parts right onto a turbo'd motor, a b series would be easier then having to modify parts to properly fit an a20...

It just depends on how much work you want to do, but i know a20's stock can handle a good amount of boost, more then a stock B motor...
    - 01 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Flip down LCD screen and DVD player, 8000k HID's, Westin light bar w/ PIAA 520's, Custom Flowmaster cat-back.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Yeah, Too old Honda, I'll be right on that... a $1400 manifold for an A20... can you guys stick to USEful info please...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    the best match for what your looking for would be a b18 ls manifold. i know the problem you were having with the split port intake manfiold on the 88-89 cars. the problem is the baldes start to flip over and it block the port. taking out the blade divider seem to really help on my car. a large plenum will help if your really revving the car. also those resonant FQ's typically just dont occur till veyr high RPM on a tubo engine. thats my 2 cents the b18 ls integra manfiold would be the easiest choice.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    87 LX
    A $1400 manifold, that is crazy. I thought the Edelbrock was pricy at around $400. Its not worth a grand for an extra 23.6hp. You can do so many more mods for $1000 that will make more power. You can do a full exaughst and an ignition system for that price.
    Last edited by k-roy; 10-21-2003 at 07:38 PM.
    ------------------

1988starter
    Originally posted by crwa
    Except a nice a20 bullet proof block

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Originally posted by Accordtheory
    Yeah, Too old Honda, I'll be right on that... a $1400 manifold for an A20... can you guys stick to USEful info please...
    you asked for the best and didnt say anything about price.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    You guys aren't down with the skunk2 LS integra manifold? Are the bolt patterns between the different B series manifolds different?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    as far as i know the b16 b18 bolt patterns are the same. im pretty sure the ls and vtec heads use the same bolt pattern.goto the dealer and lay out some intake manifold gaskets to find out for sure.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Well as the more of this talk goes on the less I want to do a C1 swap. As for that $1400 intake, that sounds like something I would buy, nothing but the best in search of more hp then anybody else.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lxi hatch (FI) stolen :(
    uhh... this may seem like a stupid question, but uh... b16,b18,b20... what cars do these come off of???
    87 hatch (stolen)

88 lxi 4dr, 5spd, threw a rod... in process of swapping engine from my 87 hatch (police recovered what was left of the car).

the fucker that sold me the 88 is lucky he lives 500 miles from me...

Vehicle
    B16a off the VTEC Civics and another but can't remember. B18 came off the integra and the B20 off the CRX.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    95 Skivic
    Originally posted by Justin86
    B16a off the VTEC Civics and another but can't remember. B18 came off the integra and the B20 off the CRX.
    also depends upon which engine series it is too... I mean, a JDM B20a and B20z are both b20s but are stuck in diff cars

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    the b20 has a really weird intake manifold design that wouldnt be the best choice for the accord (it sticks up so far that you would probably have to cut a hole in the hood to get it to fit)

Vehicle
    Originally posted by 2old_honda
    the b20 has a really weird intake manifold design that wouldnt be the best choice for the accord (it sticks up so far that you would probably have to cut a hole in the hood to get it to fit)
    Another good reason for a hood scoop.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Originally posted by Justin86
    Another good reason for a hood scoop.
    naw, here is a pic.
    there are actually two different manifolds one from the b20b and the other from the b20z
    b20b- from the USDM crv

compared to a b18 manifold

b20z

Vehicle
    Yea it would be better to go with the B16a for power and it fits under the hood. What is up with that crazy ass cover on that intake.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    It's an air chamber that is said to increase midrange torque. The idea is that the "resonator" chamber works like long runners and a larger plenum when the pressure waves travel back up the intake from the ports.

Vehicle
    Oh..... ok.