Thread: Vibration - Steering Wheel

LX User

Vibration - Steering Wheel

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say that this forum is truly awesome. I have a potentially long story if the purchase of this 89 honda se-i pulls through but before all that I wanted to ask:

What can be the cause of a steering wheel vibrating? It only vibrates while sitting idle and I mean its not bad but definitely noticeable and a cause for my concern (since I have to be cautious in buying a used car).

Please and thank-you for all your input in advance. I have talked to my mechanic, a very good friend of the family's, but I wanted to ask fellow 3g peeps as well.

Vehicle
    88 LX / 97 Teg
    There is no reason that the wheel should shake at idle other than natural movement from the engine...

Vehicle
    1987 LXi
    ALLIGNMENT, OR POWERSTEERING..

MOTOR MOUNT
    3rd Gen Accord Shirts and Stuff
    Some of my Drawings
    85 IROC Z28,TPI 355ci,700r4, 9.4:1 Aluminum pistons, COMP CAMS street/strip hyd roller cam, HYE TECH ported/polished heads, HOOKER Longtubes, Full 3 inch exaust NO Cat, TPIS alum fuel pressure reg, ACCEL distributor, custom programed chip from Performance Resource, Competition Engineering shocks. 10/90 front 50/50 back. Eibach drag springs up front. Auburn posi. SLP cold air induction and airfoil.batt relocated w/ kill switch.Still on street tires (Kuhmos all around)SOLD
    87 IROC Z28, TPI 350ci, 700R4, 3.42 Posi, 4 wheel disk, Completely Stock (Wrecked)

1987 LXi 2.0 auto

Vehicle
    B20A SEi
    If it is vibrating at idle while not moving, then it could be the exahust pipe hitting something under the engine or possbly a bad motor mount. Does the engine seem to be running ok? I'd be more concerned if the engine itself had excessive vibration at idle. As long as the motor runs ok, fixing the exhaust or motor mount should be pretty easy.

Gregg

LX User
    The engine runs perfectly fine actually. Believe it or not it has been inspected quite a bit (for other reasons actually) but I have been around this car for a bit of time now - another reason why I trust the owner and very interested in finally purchasing it. The only real worry is this vibrating. Hopefully this thing won't be too much to worry about, thanks for your posts. Any other advice and suggestions would be great too!

Vehicle
    88 LX / 97 Teg
    Originally posted by Dustin Imports
    ALLIGNMENT, OR POWERSTEERING..
    These two things have nothing to do with when the car is not moving

Vehicle
    Black 1989 LX-I Coupe and 2000 EX V6 coupe
    my steering while vibrates a little.... I don't worry about it
    Check my cardomain for sale items! Cardomain

LX User
    What usually takes place when a mechanic checks or fixes the motor mount?

It is probably the motor mounts. They can be worn enough to allow the vibration (which is more noticeable when you are in gear with the brake on with an automatic) even though they look fine and are not actually "broken." My engine vibration was vastly improved by replacing both the front and rear LOWER mounts. You also need to loosen all of the motor mount bolts (there are about 10), run the engine, turn it off, and then tighten the bolts in the sequence indicated in the service manual.

If the vibration is not so bad, you can just try loosening all the bolts and tightening. It's all a matter of what you are willing to tolerate.