Thread: AMP questions

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX ; 86 Chevy Camaro

AMP questions

Hi, i remember when i had my previous car stereo setup that my head unit would get warm alot. not actually over heat but it would be really hot and cds would come out and burn to the touch. my head unit is a 45x4 and it was powering 4 speakers. but not my sub.
    my rear speakers are 160 watt max and nominal power is 40watts , i have a 200 watt amp that says it can supply 75wattsx2 channels, would my head unit be less stressed if i use the amp to power the rear speakers seperately and would the amp power the speakers well or should i get a bigger amp seeing as the max on each speaker is 160 watts?
    i have more q's but i wont plague the board with them all at one time.
    thanks
    D-mAn..the guy with the reallly clean all-stock 87 LX and still pimpin it. :pimp:

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yes an amp will help take stess away form the headunit. You will notice it with the volume control. With an amp the volume will have to be like 20 to match the level before at 14.(example)
    Well if you want to blow the speakers get a bigger amp. The peak really dosen't mean shit. Look at the RMS rating. If you speaker put out a RMS of 40W get an amp that is real close to that. SO two speakers with RMS of 40W a amp with RMS of 2x40W would be perfect.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    if you want external amp to power your speakers, i would recomend 4 channel amp, this way you take all your stress away from the HU amp.
    look for thing that can make 40x4 watt.
    something like this http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=MRPF240
    i have older version of this amp and it rocks.
    What kind HU do you have?
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX ; 86 Chevy Camaro
    my head unit is a kenwood kdc 216-s...its a couple years old now but i still like it, although i might get a new one that can play mp3s because this one is almost off its warranty.
    for hooking up my amp to regular speakers would i have to run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers in there factory locations in the car? ive only intalled an amp for my subs so i dont know if the installation would be different.
    D-mAn..the guy with the reallly clean all-stock 87 LX and still pimpin it. :pimp:

Vehicle
    I think you just hook up the amp to the speaker in put in the deck. Mine has in puts for the speakers, external amp for sub, and one for seperate audio.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX ; 86 Chevy Camaro
    inorder to install 2 amps, lets say one is an 800 watt amp and the other is the 200 watt. the 800 watt is going to need thicker gauge wires to be setup so would that be the only one hooked up to the battery and the 200 watt feeds off its power source or would i need a cap?

Vehicle
    run 4G or 2G power wire to the back, buy power distribution box and run the power to each amp with 4G wire from distribution block.
    if your amp and battery is good, you shouldn't need a cap.
    I am running 500watt all Alpine system and i my lights don't dim at all.
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX ; 86 Chevy Camaro
    i just bought a civic hatchback that has no rear speakers, will i have to run my own wires and get speaker boxes for my 6x9's because there isnt even a place for them to be installed its a dx, i dont know if you guys are anti civic or anything, if any of you know of a civic site for the 4th? gen its an 89 id like to know so i dont ask specific audio questions on the civic here.

Vehicle
    try to find simmular civic with speakers on the back.
    lockate where they should be and look at your car. if your car has wires in that place, don't worry about the wires, just cut the hole and you ready to go.
    if not, you have to run the wires all they way.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    My friend just put some 6x9's in boxes in the back of her Civic and hook them up to an amp. Not too tough at all.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX ; 86 Chevy Camaro
    yeh, i just fininshed installing the speakers in boxes. had to run the wires myself tho.. one problem is trying to drill a safe hole in the firewall and not hit anything, it all looks so jumbled up under there, or maybe im just being a little too nervous, any suggestions on where the hole in the firewall of a civic hatch should be safe and out of the way ?