Thread: I got a jdm b16 intake to put on now! Looks good too take a lookk

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi

I got a jdm b16 intake to put on now! Looks good too take a lookk

Here is the b16 intake manifold. I'm going to get an a20 gasket to see where im going to have to drill holes in the manifold. Should I go ahead and grab the fuel rail which is not pictured. Would this swap mess with my ecu causing a hard running car. Hope to fell a power difference. Not bad for 30 bucks. This should keep me busy for a fell days when I clean up the intake and atempt to port and polish it. Any recommendations are needed, thanks alot guys for getting me interested in all this stuff!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi
    Are there connections I can buy to port and polish the intake with that will fit my dremel?

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    Its the head that you want to port (and don't do it if its on the car). Sanding drums are the best bet, you can use the carbide cuttes if you feel like living on the edge and need to get alot of material out, just make sure you have good control.

andy

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    if you have never ported a head before I wouldnt attempt it on your own unless you have a flow bench...take it to a machine shop and have them do...and I would look into getting a spare head to port too...just porting the manifold wont help...if the runners on the manifold are huge and the head ports are small it defeats the whole purpose...but good luck with the manifold,lets us know how it turns out

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi
    how big of an injector would I need? Is 240cc good enough flow. Will this fuel rail work with the pictured intake above. It is off a 99-00 civic si. I am pretty sure it will work. Also what else would I need to make sure the new intake manifold will be complete. So far I have pictured manifold with throttle body, civic jdm si 240cc injectors and possibly the pictured fuel rail. Will I need a new fuel pump and will my computer be able to comprehend the new manifold and fuel consumption? All the help is needed thanks.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi
    help?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi
    Anyone know where I can get a port and polish kit?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Well, you won't be able to use those Civic injectors unless you use a resister pack because Civics and Integras use saturated injectors...... If you get that fuel rail you'll be ok and you'll be able to use your stock injectors with that fuel rail..... New fuel pump is not needed because you won't be upping your fuel pressure by that much and our stock fuel pump is capable of handling more pressure than you think...... By the way, our stock injectors are 240cc.....

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi
    what kind of injectors should i use. Just stay with the stock ones or upgrade to something else? Also how much of a gain am i looking at if I manage to correctly port and polish the head including the intake and exhaust ports. So that the holes are lined up perfectly for the new intake. I hope ill gain atleast a COUPLE HORSES.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Yeah, stick with your stock injectors..... P&P of the head will always give you a good platform for performance but what you must understand is that everything you do to your engine affects other parts as well, good and bad...... Understand that you must have a good balance of air and fuel for your car to maximize what you do to it..... By adding this new intake you will be adding more air to the engine but keep in mind, that doesn't mean that you have raised your compression and that's where it counts.....:super:

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89/honda/accord lxi
    I have been informed by the honda dealer and a honda engine build up person with experience in every honda engine that the intake from the b16a will not work on the a20a3 head. They said the coolant passages don't match up and the vacuum hoses are different. Then they said the ecu will have a problem since the intake is obd2? and our cars are obd1 or obd0. Anyways i guess this intake swap will not work. He said the b18 wont work either. He basically told me to get a newer engine to work on like a civic si

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    What a pos, don't listen to him.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    You know what, he's absolutely right, the coolant lines and the vacuum lines don't match up but there's a little thing called fabrication work that I see he know's nothing about..... That's why I told you that there is more into this swap than just drilling some holes and slapping it on your head..... You have to cut off the 2 coolant ports on the b16 mani. and than fill the hole with JB weld...... Once the JB has cured, than you will be able to drill your hole for that side of the mani...... As far as the ECU reading anything, it's only going to read the sensor that's located on the side of the throttle body and you can swap that one with your existing sensor from your car...... So tell this to the so called Honda tech that if he wants to know how to do real work with a engine, and I don't mean putting a engine back together by looking at a service manual, than he can come talk to me.......:smokin:

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    and the intake temp sensor. Also, when you wire up the TPS sensor, make sure the voltage readings are correct - use a multimeter. As to the OBDx stuff, just take off all the sensor garbage , and block their holes up. Mind you, I have no clue what I'm talking about
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Originally posted by MoonScryer
    and the intake temp sensor. Also, when you wire up the TPS sensor, make sure the voltage readings are correct - use a multimeter. As to the OBDx stuff, just take off all the sensor garbage , and block their holes up. Mind you, I have no clue what I'm talking about
    You are correct. Use whatever is on the stock manifold and plug the rest. As for vac lines, just take the lines that came off the stock manifold and plug them into the b16 manifold. It does not matter where you plug them in at. If there are not enough vac ports on the b16 then you can just "tee" into the other vac lines that are hooked up to the manifold.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yea there is some work and to you might want to get Sean's GM ECU. It will help out a lot.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lxi hatch (FI) stolen :(
    Originally posted by 2old_honda
    You are correct. Use whatever is on the stock manifold and plug the rest. As for vac lines, just take the lines that came off the stock manifold and plug them into the b16 manifold. It does not matter where you plug them in at. If there are not enough vac ports on the b16 then you can just "tee" into the other vac lines that are hooked up to the manifold.
    hey, I'm planning on doing this swap in the future... so, what your saying is that if there are not enough lines to plug the stock hoses into, I could just drill a new hole and plug it in or even just tee into another line... this will make the car still pass smog???

I'm in california, so I have to pass smog... that's my main concern with the swap.
    87 hatch (stolen)

88 lxi 4dr, 5spd, threw a rod... in process of swapping engine from my 87 hatch (police recovered what was left of the car).

the fucker that sold me the 88 is lucky he lives 500 miles from me...

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    just tee into a existing line coming from the manifold. you could also drill/tap a new hole, but teeing a existing line will be easier.

I dont see why it wouldnt pass smog. just make sure that all of the sensors and lines from the old manifold are hooked up to the new manifold.