Thread: Transmission swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LXI (low mileage engine)

Question Transmission swap

This summer I bought an 88 LXI with a cracked head and swaped in a newer motor with only 30k miles on it. The motor runs fantastic, but the transmission (automatic) is having some problems. It goes in and out of overdrive like crazy when traveling at highways speeds. It also has a ratcheting like noise when I put it in park (sometimes). The later I think is a cable adjustment.

Anyway, I am considering an upgrade to a M/T taken from a DX.

My questions are:

Will the DX (1.8) flywheel bolt up to my 2.0 liter engine?
    Will the DX (1.8) manual trany bolt up?

I am going to yank the cruise so the pedal arraingment thingy is not an issue (I think).

Any caviats to performing this swap?

TIA

Vehicle
    2007 Honda Civic Si RR FG2
    Well for one, all the motors are 2.0s, so there is no problem, and you can go manual/auto and vice versa w/o problems, the only problem I had when I put in a new motor was the new one was from a 5 spd. car and I accidentally used the 5spd. flywheel bolts which are different from the AT flywheel bolts, that's the only real problem. Welcome to 3geez btw.
    Military style fears God not a stranger.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Yes your right, they are all two liters. I just stumbled upon an engine spec list.

The engine I swaped in was from a 5 speed too. But having been a former Nissan mechanic, I've made those kinds of mistakes before and already learned from them;-)

I once swaped a manual shifter into a Toyota Corolla FX 16 and as very pleased with the difference in performance and gas mileage.

In reading the posts, it looks like the gear ratios are a tad different in the DX transmissions versus the LXI. I bet their shorter. That would give more umph from the line at the expense of top end which I dont really care about.

Good group going here. Sorta like the Sentra SE-R group when I owned an NX2000.

Vehicle
    I like it here, this is my first forum, I fit in pretty well here, I don't even have my Accord anymore, hell it's not even a Honda, but I'm still here. I don't believe that there is a difference in the DX tranny as opposed to the LX-i tranny, but there could be. One cool thing if you ever get into hopping up your 3g, we can fit 84-87 prelude trannys w/ shorter gear ratios, the 84-87 prelude uses the same engine as us. Some suspension parts are interchangeable I believe too. But for gas milage, the Accord tranny will be better.

DX User
    Vehicle
    I figured up a parts list to swap out the tranny.

A clutch kit, all the engine seals, new axle boots and rear shock bushings, (so I can install my new tokico HP's) will cost me 185 bucks. If I pull my friends DX motor for him, I can have the 5speed tranny for free.

The parts yard wants 250 for an automatic. and I would still need to buy the other stuff I mentioned. That would cost me 350+ dollars and I would still have an automatic.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord dx
    hey possum....If you ever figure out what is up with the ratcheting noise when shifting to park, please PM me or something. I am having the same prob.
    88 Accord DX

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    are you going to swap a standard to 5spd? if so.. what parts are you going to buy in order to drop in the 5spd ??
    - J u n i o r -
    Quote Originally Posted by 89ACCORDVTECH
    - One of my carS is an SEI A20 my LXI has AN H22

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    To be honest, there really aren't that many parts you need to do the conversion..... 1. Manual pedal assembly. 2. Manual tranny with tranny mount. 3. Flywheel and clutch. 4. Clutch cable. 5. Manual drivers side axle. 6. Shift linkage and shift plate hardware. But I will tell you, the hardest part of the swap is the pedal assembly because you have to drop the steering column to get them in and get the old pedals out.....

DX User
    Vehicle
    It sure would be alot nicer if on #1 all you had to do was add a clutch pedal and cable.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Now come on, you know it can't be that easy.....

Vehicle
    One other thing I would do, but this is me personally, I would get a 5 spd. Gauge cluster so I could get rid of the Gear selection indicator lights between the temp. gauge and the fuel gauge.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    You're right and another thing I forgot to add to the list was the ECU.....

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    u dont NEED the ecu . .
    - J u n i o r -
    Quote Originally Posted by 89ACCORDVTECH
    - One of my carS is an SEI A20 my LXI has AN H22