Thread: Rear lower control arm shock bushings

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LXI (low mileage engine)

Rear lower control arm shock bushings

Hey 3GEEZERS,

I did something rather stupid this morning. Got an 88 Accord LXI with wasted struts. Having done struts before, I figured it wouldnt be a big deal. I got a spring tool and all.

However, the bolts that secure the lower part of the struts into the lower control arm (really the nuckle) were kinda rusty (I live in the rust belt). In my feeble attempt at breaking them loose I tore the lower control arm (nuckle) bushing. Naturally I will need to fix this.

I suspect they are pressed in. With a torch I can cut them out no problem. But getting the new one in is going to be difficult.

My concern is if I need to pull the whole rear nuckle assembly out of the car to press the new busing in, I am going to run into more seized bolts and possible tear more bushings. I can see this getting very expensive quickly.

Has anyone experienced this and have an alternate idea for getting the new bushing installed without spending huge $$$$?

Up the creek in Vermont,

Possum

DX User
    Vehicle
    Hmm...been thinking about this a bit. Anyone believe a really big C-Clamp will have enough umph to press new bushings in? Alternatively I could try to just pound them in with a dead blow hammer.

One last thought is I got a DX parts car and can steal the rear knuckle assemby from that. If I tear any bushings in that one at least I can press new ones in and have it onhand with new bolts and a bottle of never sieze;-)

Accord of the Year - 2006

Don't try to bang the bushings in. probably cost like 20 dollars to have someone press in a new bushing.

You'll have o take out the rear knuckle to be able to ake it to a machine shop.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Thats what I am afraid of. Having to take the whole nuckle out will incure more torn bushings or seized bolts. But I will pull the nuckle out of my DX parts car first and see what tears there. Then if I fix that nuckle all up and have the attaching bolts and nuts, if something goes on mine, it may not be such a problem.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Update.

Earlier this summer, I replaced the lower strut bushings with KYB bushings. I simply cut the lower through bolt mounting tabs off (the struts) and pulled the bolts free, bushing center and all. Then I pulled the strut assembly out.

Next I hack sawed a slice into the old bushing shell which was still lodged into the hub assembly. Once sliced, I easily tapped it out with a hammer and a punch.

The new bushings have slightly tapered ends which make things easier to line up.
    With miminal effort I used a big socket the same size as the bushing and tapped the new bushings into place. Then I bolted the new struts in. This method requires 2 new lower bolts (1 for each side), unless you have access to a torch to recover the old bolts from the old bushing centers.

Vehicle
    1987 Accord EF Extra(rhd) A18A
    i need to find these lower strut bushings, all i've found so far is a lower arm bushing kit but its $88cdn per side, if anyone knows if and where i can get just these strut bushings, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Jon

DX User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrichert
    i need to find these lower strut bushings, all i've found so far is a lower arm bushing kit but its $88cdn per side, if anyone knows if and where i can get just these strut bushings, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Jon

http://www.europartsdirect.com/epcvs...uropartsdirect

Its the second item down. Looks like they have 2 left.
    They are KYB replacement bushings. They do NOT need to be pressed in.
    A socket and a hammer will do it just fine. Good luck.

Vehicle
    1987 Accord EF Extra(rhd) A18A
    thanks for posting that link possum, but they won't ship across the border... i found the parts at majestic honda, might have to get them from there if i can't find them locally.
    rear lower arm diagram i believe it's illustration #16.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrichert
    thanks for posting that link possum, but they won't ship across the border... i found the parts at majestic honda, might have to get them from there if i can't find them locally.
    rear lower arm diagram i believe it's illustration #16.

I do not think that is correct. # 16 is a rear lower control arm bushing.

Instead choose item #14 from the following link. Its part of the rear knuckle. My 88 LXI uses the same part. They all do.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...KLE-BRAKE+DRUM