Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank Scraper / Oil Pan Baffle

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Crank Scraper / Oil Pan Baffle

let us know how it works

I tried one in my car but it keep hitting the windage tray so I ended up pulling it out. There seems tall to me but I guess it doesn't hit. Spring loaded is really cool.

wp

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Sorry meant I had made my own. Read my post and I can see its not complete thought.

wp

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

Got my crank scraper and oil pan baffle in yesterday. Don't know when it will be going in though.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by cke View Post
    After doing some engine build-up research, I found a place that makes a crank scraper for the A20A's. (http://www.crank-scrapers.com)

They're $50 for the regular, $150 for the zero-clearance Teflon edged.

Baffle for the oilpan

This isn't really required unless you're going to be building a higher-rev engine.

There's a lot of dyno testing done on plenty of Honda engines. Even D-series engines gain back about 5bhp or so.

I'm totally getting one.
    sorry to bring this back from the dead,but doing this now, I don't like the tiny opening in that baffle at all, too easy to clog with sludge or something. I used the method of heavy perforated stainless mesh. oil flows through it normally under normal conditions, but if you corner the car hard,the large amount of oil that tries to leave the sump,can't all make it through the holes at once,so it stays in the sump. think of it like a set of doors,normally people can go through the doors with no problem, if everyone tries to run through the doors at once, they can't make it very quickly. the time of the g force needed to slosh the oil out of pan peaks very quickly, then the oil settles back in the sump. the smaller holes will slow the oil enough when it all tries to get out of the sump area that it will keep the pickup covered. now i just need the cleances so i can add the contour to the baffle

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

nice Tim. Thanks for bringing this back from the dead. I do like your design, but I would consider coming up a little higher on the sides of your baffle, and as you said, doing the contour so as not a faak up the crank. Did you paint the inside of that pan? ..or media blast it? It looks way to clean to be just a bit of elbow grease and degreaser.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

I noticed on the crank-scrapers website that still offer parts for the A20 and they changed their design to a dual scraper. The scrapers on the downstroke side are angled to let the oil run off.
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

yep, they still offer it. I called them toward the end of last year and confirmed.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    nice Tim. Thanks for bringing this back from the dead. I do like your design, but I would consider coming up a little higher on the sides of your baffle, and as you said, doing the contour so as not a faak up the crank. Did you paint the inside of that pan? ..or media blast it? It looks way to clean to be just a bit of elbow grease and degreaser.
    inside of the pan is blasted,i can't understand why they paint the inside, the paint flakes off from the constant soaking in oil and goes straight into your oil pump. i 'm trying to get the contour of the oil pan baffle now,but i still need the lowest point of the crank to measure it. I think this one will be fine for street use, the mest lets normal amounts of oil flow through it,but a large amount of oil can't go through it at once, such as cornering. this is an old tested design. there ar a number of baffle designs in use.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

yeah I like it. I may try and work something out with you to hook up my pan with one b/c I'm sick of getting shot with the oil light on stupidly tight turning.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

bump guys... ...just to bring it back to ppl's attention
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Thanks
    - llia

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

anybody got any more input on the scrapers or baffles? ive been thinking bout baffles for hard turns to keep oil in its place...

Vehicle

don't forget about the accusumps too, if the oil pressure drops suddenly they force oil back into the engine and then the oil goes back into the sump when the pressure comes back up. That will fix the low oil pressure on cornering issue

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Quote Originally Posted by cke View Post
    Dude, the LS rods won't be a major difference in clearance. Especially with the teflon blade unit.

I'm planning on getting my crank knife edged though, so I don't know if the teflon unit would even work for me without getting custom built for my application.
    I wouldnt knife edge the crank in this application because there is no harmonic balancer in the crank pulley in this motor unlike other honda engines and the added mass in the crank will help keep the harmonics from eating the bearings to death in the bottom end. Seriously.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

SEi User

Defo on crank they don't need it great thing about A20 may sound like a bag of nails and rattle like crazy but our cranks are super light as they have no counterweights which make them rev happy crazy machines!! :0)