Thread: Reverse gear makes click noise when Reversing

DX User

Reverse gear makes click noise when Reversing

I max out reverse gear one day.(trying to impress my friend) :super:

that day every thing was cool.

like the next day i hare a clicking sound when reversing.

now all the time it make that noise when reversing.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? HOW LONG BEFOR I CAN'T REVERSE NO MORE? CAN I LEAVE IT LIKE THAT FOR THE NEXT 2 YEAR?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    Personally I dont have this prob but I know that Vinny mentioned his one car did this or does this. I am not sure which but I know he mentioned it.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    yupp thats me :lol

the red sedan clicks in reverse, its done it since I bought it. At first I thought it was maybe a cv joint but luckily I have access to a lift. We put it up one day, started it up and put it in reverse and found the problem was definitely in the tranny. I've had the car for about 6 mths and its been doing it the whole time, it doesn't effect anything. I personally don't worry about it because I don't drive in reverse

I had a clicking sound in 2nd gear on my CRX. After replacing the tranny, I pulled the old one apart to find a broken tooth on one of the 2nd gears. A broken or chipped tooth on the reverse gear might be causing the clicking in your case. Like Vinny said, since he doesn't drive in reverse it's not a problem, and it shouldn't be for you if you take it real easy in reverse. I think
    Last edited by 88LXi/87CRXSi; 11-19-2003 at 02:56 PM.
    Steve

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    That happened on my Legend. It would make a clicking sound when I backed up. I had a 5 speed to, what do you have? After about 5 or 6 months of it doing that the tranny crapped out on me. Had to sell the car...

good luck

tim

Vehicle
    87 LX
    I guess thats what you guys get for doing stupid things with a car.
    So what is the point in doing 30 in reverse?
    ------------------

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    I didn't do 30 in reverse. The friggin Legend I got had so many damn problems, wish I never bought it...

tim

Vehicle
    93 Integra LS-S
    Originally posted by kroy
    So what is the point in doing 30 in reverse?
    They were probably racing in reverse. :lol

Anyways, does it click when you shift to reverse or click as you're backing up? If it clicks when you shift to reverse, I guess that's typical of Hondas. Let's see, the 3G Accord did it, my Integra's doing it, my friends' Integras are doing it, my other friends' Civics are doing it. All click when shifting to reverse and all are manual.

The way I get it not to click is step (pump) the clutch pedal a few times before shifting to reverse. And when shifting to reverse, shift slowly - that's right, granny shift to reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Street racing is for idiots.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    The tranny i got from a junk yard for my spare coupe has done that since i put it in a few years ago. Its still going so you may get lucky and have it last for a long time like i have. Being reverse it dont get used much and for slow short distance so if your good to it you may not have to worry about it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Civic Hatch
    I am assuming it is standard from your name and if reverse does go out you got an alternative. Put it in nuetral push the car and jump in really quick.
    Now a Civic Hatchback but was an 87 LX Accord

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    Originally posted by Blue Impact
    Anyways, does it click when you shift to reverse or click as you're backing up? If it clicks when you shift to reverse, I guess that's typical of Hondas. Let's see, the 3G Accord did it, my Integra's doing it, my friends' Integras are doing it, my other friends' Civics are doing it. All click when shifting to reverse and all are manual.

The way I get it not to click is step (pump) the clutch pedal a few times before shifting to reverse. And when shifting to reverse, shift slowly - that's right, granny shift to reverse.
    Put it in first or second gear before you shift into reverse. I'm pretty sure there is no synchro for reverse. It's easier to do that then pump the clutch.

Originally posted by Kidou Ninja
    I am assuming it is standard from your name and if reverse does go out you got an alternative. Put it in nuetral push the car and jump in really quick.
    When mine went the tranny went all together, couldn't drive in foward gears either. Well, you could, but it did not sound good...

Vehicle
    87 LX
    I second that, there is no reverse synchro. That is why reverse ocassionly grinds.
    ------------------

Putting it in first doesn't do much. Put it in second, then reverse.

When shifting into first, always shift from second into first.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Kids these days! You might want to change the tranny oil. You are suppose to change it like every 30,000 miles but we all know people don't. It is not like it is hard to do.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    I'm bringing this back for a reason.

I went to pick up the rebuilt tranny for the sedan last night and asked them about the clicking in reverse, since thats the ONLY thing wrong with the core I dropped off. Their rebuilder said he's about 99% certain it's the REVERSE IDLE GEAR PN 5 in the breakdown.

He says they loose teeth and that causes the dreaded clicking in reverse only. I didn't ask how serious it could be, figured missing teeth of a gear is BAD. Anyways part is 47 bucks from majestic, you just have to dismantle the tranny to fix it. Wish I had known that before I paid 475 for a rebuilt tranny. Can we say live and learn

Vehicle
    01 F150 4x4 Supercab
    Sorry for the threadjack, but...
    Wow, Vinny, wish I could get away with $475 for a rebuilt. I hit advanced (only place in town that does trans) and they wanted $1085 with a $400 core charge! O_O

Where did you get that rebuild from, a local trans shop/parts store or a national chain?

Vehicle