Thread: cat and performance

DX User

cat and performance

New to the forum.

I have recently taken over a nice 89 accord lx in stock condition. It is the slowest motorized vehicle I have ever driven. So much so Im sure there is a problem. Its so sluggish the CC will not hold speed.

I have checked most of the obvious things like EGR, cap /rotor,plugs, solenoid valves, vacuum advance, o2 sensor, many carb components, etc.

Due to the relative smooth running of this 15 horsepower 2.o I am beginning to suspect through the process of elimination that the cat may be plugged. I would like to modify this vehicle a bit but must get it up to stock performance first.

Any suggestions? AND, andy problems with straight piping the cat ? (reduction in back pressure / sensor and control anomolies as a result?)
    I assume it would help by opening up the exhaust but my experience is with old 1960's v8's so I am worried about the complexity of the emiswsion / control systems. Thanks

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    punching out your cat will help in performance. the only thing you have to worry about is if you have DEQ inspections. You'll fail if you have to have it inspected.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Yea, weld a strait pipe in there. If you look around this board you can find countless ways to make it go faster. I hope you have a 5 speed, because the autos suck.
    You should rip out the vacuum lines and the egr system. That will make it idle more steady and make it cruise easier. Then get a modified civic airbox so you can use a k&n cone. Do some searching, there is more than you probably think on this board.
    Last edited by k-roy; 11-21-2003 at 01:55 PM.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yea there is so much you can do to the carb but most of it will not pass emission. If you have emission you can get a civic intake, headers and full exhaust with no problems. Average price would be about $350 for those basics I,H,E
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    92 EG6 SiRII
    i got a strait pipe put in right after i got my car in march of 2003. and in 05 i can just put the caty back on when its time for emissions
    89 accord lxi - Blown head/towed away forever! I MISS YOU!
    91 Civic Hatch - Gone
    92 Civic Hatch - The Daily Driver

DX User

egr / vaccum removal

What is the proceedure for removing the egr system? Which components get removed and do you just fabricate a plate and gasket to cover the port where the egr had been installed?

What vaccum lines can be removed w/o adverse effects on Fuel economy and performance?

Vehicle
    87 LX
    DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE ENISSIONS CHECKS!
    I guarentee you will fail if you do

How to remove carb vacuum lines: https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php...;threadid=11067

The EGR system is pretty straitforeward. I sealed my EGR valve with JB Weld because I lack the proper tools to make a decent looking plate. You allready have the right idea about that one by making a plate. The Second pipe on the exaughst manifold is for air suction and can come off along with the vacuum lines. It is connected to a long plastic box behind the valve cover. That box can go into the trash as well. I did a complete hackjob to my vacuum lines and have like 4 lines left. For this I have no A/C idle boost (the A/C is long gone) or cruise control (yea, like I cruise). You can get around that but do not ask me how. Do plenty of research before you start ripping shit out, you may regret it later.

I would have used bolts to plug the manifolds if I could have found the correct size and threading. I cut the tubes and pounded them shut on an anvil. Then I bent them back with a bench vise and welded them shut. No leaks!
    Last edited by k-roy; 11-21-2003 at 11:52 PM.
    ------------------