Thread: Head Gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, Distributor O-Ring and Oil Filter ALL Leaking.......

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX 4-Door Sedan

Exclamation Head Gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, Distributor O-Ring and Oil Filter ALL Leaking.......

.......and I just thought it was my valve cover gasket that was leaking!

Oh, and the cam / crank seal might be leaking to.

I have a few questions:

1.) If I get everything fixed (oil pan gasket, distributor o-ring, oil filter), except for the Head Gasket.....will not having that fixed screw up everything all over again?

2.) Are any of these parts easy to fix by myself?

3.) Am I insane or stupid for wanting most of these things fixed? Please be bluntly honest.

I wouldn't even think about putting this much $ into my car, but the engine was rebuilt at 130,000 and I have about 165,000 on it now.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi
    I would fix all the leaks. Why do you think that the head gasket is leaking?

1. Is it really leaking or is it just from another leak?

2.The dist o-ring is pretty easy, make sure you mark the position of dist before you pull it and note where the rotor is.
    Oil filter also pretty simple.
    Oil pan gasket a bit more difficult but can be done.

3. Not at all insane. You should fix all leaks if you can.

With some caare these cars will run for a very long time.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Also welcome to the board. There is a lot of useful info here. Enjoy your stay.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Thanks Mac. I don't know much about cars at all. After looking at this site for quite a while I have fixed some minor things that were wrong, because of the info I learned on this board.

I was told by the tech at the dealer that it (head gasket) was leaking. Either he was being honest, or he just wanted to get $1,000 off me.

If the head gasket was leaking, wouldn't the oil be spurting all over the place when it's running?

I've looked at my engine quite a few times with it running, but I've never seen oil blowing all over the engine.
    Last edited by AvsFan212333; 11-21-2003 at 07:12 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Not really sure if it would be spurting out. I thought my head gasket was leaking but it turned out to be the dist. o-ring. I would fix all leaks above the head gasket and clean the engine real good and watch for a few days.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    actually, you don't have to remember the rotor position. you can install distributor with rotor 180 deg. the distributor fork, that connects to the cam is off set a little, so it is impossible to install it opposite direction. unless you remove the rotor itself and turn around 180 deg than you are screwed.
    replacing distributor o-ring, valve cover gasket is very easy.
    replacing oil pan gasket will require some knowledge of how to remove a lot of stuff and remember to put them back. it took me about one day to replace the oil pan gasket.
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Mac,

That's what I was thinking as well, not to get the head gasket fixed yet. I'd be pretty mad if I wasted all that money on something I didn't need done. It'll be another couple weeks before I fix and/or get all the other work done, so I'll let you know what happens.

Shepherd79,

I replaced the valve cover gasket last night. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The leak from that seemed to have stopped for now.

My knowledge is very little, so it'd be best for me not to screw with the oil pan gasket myself. While it would be good knowing how to do it, I know I'd mess something up.
    Last edited by AvsFan212333; 11-21-2003 at 07:38 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    If the Head Gasket was leaking, wouldn't the engine backfire?

I reeeeeally think the dealer tried to throw me a long one here.

"There's oil all over the place." "Your oil pan is full." Those are 2 things the tech said, that contradicted each other. If oil was all over the engine, how could the pan still be full?

Anyone else have any feedback for this?

LX User
    I find myself in the same position. I have leaks from every where.

Camshaft Seal
    Oil Pump Seal
    Oil Pan Gasket
    Oil Filter Housing
    Rear Main

With a high mileage engine, I don't really want to spend the money to get all these fixed only to have the head gasket or the piston rings give out on me. Either rebuild the engine or get another engine with low miles. Even a low mileage engine will develop some leaks due to the age of the seals.

I tried some of that "stop leak" and it didn't do anything.

Claude

Erika - [email protected]
    '89 Accord LX 100% Stock

Claude - [email protected]
    '89 Accord DX 100% Stock

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    It's also possible your crankcase pressure is WAY too high. I forget how to check that, but it's possible. Anyone remember how?
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    I highly doubt the HG is leaking, especially since the engine was rebuilt 35K miles ago. Fix everything else first and then see where you are at.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord DX
    well, if your car is much like mine, 89 4dr DX 5spd...
    i just changed the oil pan gasket on mine. much the same problems as you... leaking oil everywhere, huge mess.
    I wrote up a step by step for the oil pan gasket... it's kind of simple in its explanation, but it covers most everything i had to do...
    and the post before it in the thread covers the problems i ran into and how i fixed them.
    If you're not good at remembering where things came from, try using labeled sandwich bags for nuts/screws/bolts, and masking tape labels on parts.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26733

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK
    Do you live near Ottawa? If so then you need to send me an e-mail because I can fix your car for a lot cheaper!

All those seals you mentioned...

25 oil pan seal
    32 head gasket
    o-ring....cheap
    valve cover - 9 bucks worth of silicone

Labour on the install is going to KILL you because these seals are stupid to get to!

You need to learn how to do this or prob end up paying close to a grand to have them all installed!

LX User
    You may just have a clogged crankcase vent system. Better check that first

DX User
    Vehicle
    BootMachine,

Ottawa, Illinois? I think I'm about 1 hour away.

If you meant Ottawa in Canada, then I'm much farther. ;-)

Do you have lifts? Let's say I'd want you to do everything, can you give me an estimate on how much it will cost?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)

what rocky said

maybe overfilled the engine too...

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Originally posted by MoonScryer
    It's also possible your crankcase pressure is WAY too high. I forget how to check that, but it's possible. Anyone remember how?
    It is caused by a plug PVC valve or by cracked rings. Since the engine was rebuilt the rings should be good. You can tell if you have a lot of preasure in the valve cover and that will cause it to leak oil. Just start the engine and remove the oil cap on the valve cover and you will know. The PVC is about a $3 fix. For the other gasket use silicone esp for around areas with low preasure (valve cover, distrubitor, for example!)
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.