Thread: Dome Light Upgrade Fixer

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

Lightbulb Dome Light Upgrade Fixer

if you still have a working dome light in you 3gee, which you probley do, you may notice its lack of light that actually is putout. well, i know the inside has no reflection stuff at all. well, i took out my dome light and cleaned all the inside plastic with rubber alcohol, but not the lense. i put some chrome tape all inside where i could without touching the electrical stuff. i also used some plastic polish/cleaner on the lense. it was made yellow from cigarette smoke from when my mom drove the car. anyway, i cleaned it back to clear and has no scratches in it now! it has the stock, and may i add original bulb in it. that chrome tape made it reflect a lot more light and is much more bright than it ever was! my friends that rode in my car tonight wondered what the hell i did to make it look so bright and whiter. now i can actually see with the dome light. pretty cool! and no, i made shur it wont catch fire cuz it doesnt even get that hot or interfere with the electrical connections.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    so, anyone thinking about doing that? tryied it out again after driving at night. it was pretty bright.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-I 2D
    My light is already brighter then most of the other cars I have owned, but I might do something like that if I get really board during the winter when I'm unable to tweek the outside.
    Learning to tune the radio was easy.. ..now on to the rest of the car....
    *Soon to come
    -Custom cold air kit -dye and paint threw out the inside -new speakers all around
    Quote Originally Posted by diegoaccord
    An Si is more than a Civic
    Check out my ride at
    cardomain.com/memberpage/467671

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 accord lxi 2 door coupe
    i have had that same problem when im looking for something at night, i usualy end up using a lighter, i'm going to give it a shot when i get a chance and i'll let you know how well it worked for me
    worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Good job! I'm gonna do that myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Sounds like a blast, I'd actually like to polish mine to clear and replace the stock bulb with some red LED's then put a cap in there so that when the door closes the light fades off instead of just turning off.

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    sounds good...I have some of that tape...I will try that too...

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX 4-Door Sedan
    I'm not sure what other brands are good, but I have a PIAA Xtreme White 10W dome light.

That did the trick for me. Talk about blinding! Also, the new dome light cover helped.

Onto a problem that might be solved by your chrome tape suggestion.......

I've spent around $150 upgrading all my exterior lights. Why? I have no idea. All lights are PIAA Xtreme White series bulbs.

My tail lights and front turn signal lights aren't nearly as bright as I thought they'd be with these bulbs in.

I looked inside the housings and saw that the reflective material in most of them was burnt and/or faded.

Looks like it'd be hard to put tape in those housings, plus I'm kinda lazy.

Considering these bulbs get much hotter than a dome light.....is there a warning on that chrome tape in regards to how much heat it can take?
    Last edited by AvsFan212333; 12-03-2003 at 10:06 PM.

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    Originally posted by AvsFan212333

Considering these bulbs get much hotter than a dome light.....is there a warning on that chrome tape in regards to how much heat it can take?
    Good question. Since the tape in question usually has a paper backing I wouldn't suggest anything that produces more than 450 Deg F of heat.

It takes a lot more watts than the 10W for a dome light or the 27/28W of the twist in bulbs that go in the tails to generate enough heat to start burning objects. I know 300W bulbs can burn fabric and start fires but that's almost 3 times more wattage than PIAA headlight bulbs so I don't think I'd worry about it too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue
    where can we get this chrome tape?

Vehicle
    '86 LX Sedan (gone), '89 LX sedan
    Originally posted by Abraham
    where can we get this chrome tape?
    I'm pretty sure you can go to any hardware store and they should have some.

That's a great idea though. I've always noticed that it was a bit dim inside my car at night with the dome light on.
    - Steve -

My Accord

Vehicle
    i got that chrome tape at pepboy's. they have it at auto zone and o'reilly auto parts. i can see why you might think it has a paper backing, but that only the part that peels off. it just has some sticky adhesive on it. i preped the part where i put it with some rubbing alcohol to get any dirt off. otherwise, you can have problems with it sticking good.