Thread: Still baffled with center channel

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe

Still baffled with center channel

Okay, this post actually goes in this section, unlike my swaybar thread. (pours even more caffeine)

I'm having trouble getting a decent center channel for my setup. I tried a pair of tweets only to have them sound like rice crispies when the sound gets cranked. I don't have any room left in the console area, got the processor and cupholders, above that is the deck of course. I'm thinking near the e-brake, but is there a speaker slim enough to fit there and still handle what I'm gonna throw at it? Needs to handle at least 120 watts peak, so that isn't much.

Any ideas?
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    Maybe you could mount one on the dash shelf. It would be hard to make it look good though, and that isnt really the center, it's more of the front, but maybe it would work. Good luck with finding a spot!
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

lower the impedance, use 2 4-ohm tweets in series or a single 8-ohm unit etc until it is tolerable. That or aim them away from you.

I was thinking about doing one using a hose center channel, it's an old KEF with a tweet in the dustcap of the single 6" cone but the magnet is too big
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    Originally posted by POS carb
    lower the impedance, use 2 4-ohm tweets in series or a single 8-ohm unit etc until it is tolerable. That or aim them away from you.

I was thinking about doing one using a hose center channel, it's an old KEF with a tweet in the dustcap of the single 6" cone but the magnet is too big
    I did... rice crispies. It's not that the tweets can't handle the power I'm giving it, but rather it can't handle the mids. More than just highs come out of the center. The only thing it doesn't output are the extreme lows that are delivered to the subwoofer channel.

glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    You sure you need THAT much going into a center channel. I know you need more power to run subs than it does to run mids and highs. Given the limited anount of space you have it rules our going with a single 4" or so. I looked and looked a while back when I was thinking of doing another system and most of the center channels like the Clarion sk-5, the alpine SBS-0515, and the pioneer TS-CX7, and the kenwood KSC-700CCS all are rated between 60-80 watts peak. Are you running them through a seperate processor for the center or how are you running it?
    Last edited by Vinny; 12-02-2003 at 12:23 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    Originally posted by Vinny
    You sure you need THAT much going into a center channel. I know you need more power to run subs than it does to run mids and highs. Given the limited anount of space you have it rules our going with a single 4" or so. I looked and looked a while back when I was thinking of doing another system and most of the center channels like the Clarion sk-5, the alpine SBS-0515, and the pioneer TS-CX7, and the kenwood KSC-700CCS all are rated between 60-80 watts peak. Are you running them through a seperate processor for the center or how are you running it?
    I've got a 5.1 DTS processor running the whole show.

glorious!

Vehicle
    88 LX / 97 Teg
    I don't know of this is aplicable to your situation, but if you get some crossovers and run them to the door speakers and to a pair of tweeters on the dash, it soudns pretty damn good.