Thread: water leaking from glovebox

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action

water leaking from glovebox

water drips out near the glovebox, a little to the right of it, and soaks the passenger floor. i don't know if its the A/C or a leak from the rain. anyone have this problem before? i found a bunch of paper stuffed up there to soak up the water, i guess the previous owners of the car found a great solution...... im hating these people more and more.
    real 3geez http://www.3g-generation.com

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    I haven't noticed that problem on mine, but it's garage parked most of the time. I have had my right rear taillight fill up with water though!

Anyway, here is an interesting link:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/Index.cfm

It has a list of the known defects for our cars and includes:

"WATER LEAKAGE AT COWL-WHEN PARKED UPHILL, WATER LEAKS ONTO FRONT CARPET DURING RAINSTORM OF WHILE WASHING CAR-INSUFFICIENT SEALER UNDER FRONT FENDER AT INTERSE CTION OF THE COWL, WHEELHOUSE AND UPPER DASH AND ALONG WHEELHOUSE AND DOOR FRAME SEAM-IF WATER LEAKING INTO PASSENGER COMPARTMENT, APPLY SEALANT UNDER CORRECTIV E ACTION-ALL 1986 TO 1988 HONDA ACCORD MODELS TLH"

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord HB DX
    Dj99 is probably giving the best lead but here's my 2 cents. This happened to another one of my cars. I'm not sure if it applies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hot water travels in underneath the dash board from the engine to assist the heater. That's how some cars get hot air from our vents when we set the temperature to RED. You might have a leak in this part of the system. Just a suggestion.

This also applies to a short fix method. When your car's temperature gauge goes unusually high, I've been taught to turn on the heater and fan to high so that this part of the system may assist in cooling down the engine temporarily until you can pull over. You allow the water to circulate in a cooler area (as the fan blow heat away) and at the same time release some cooler water into the engine (it's gives you a couple minutes of lowering your car's temp).

I might not make a lot of sense right now but it's worked for me a couple of times.

1989 Honda Accord DX Hatchback - 155k miles and going.

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    You should also check to make sure your A/C condensation outlet hose is unclogged. If it's clogged it can back up.

After you get home after running your A/C for a while, shut the car off and look under the car in the area of the passenger dash. There is a plastic hose pointing down that should be dripping after a bit. You can take a straight wire or the like and poke it around up there gently to release a clog.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    dj99's solution sounds about right, ill go check it out.

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX Hatchback 5 Speed
    got the same symptoms on a 87 hatchback. at first I thought it was a seal problem around the windshield, but this is something else to look at. my problem is on the passenger side. so, has anyone gotten into the cure? it sounds like a removal of the fender is necessary.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    got the same symptoms on a 87 hatchback. at first I thought it was a seal problem around the windshield, but this is something else to look at. my problem is on the passenger side. so, has anyone gotten into the cure? it sounds like a removal of the fender is necessary.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    actually it started leaking the other day, and it wasn't raining. so it must be the a/c. i need to have some free time to dismantle and look at whats going on.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    my problem is no doubt rain related, or, I should say, an exterior leak related, since I get dribbles when I wash the car. It is basically from where the alert says, at the cowl, fender, windshield, area on the passenger side. I was doing a carb thing so I have not had time other than remove the seat, pull up the carpet and dry it out, but I can see it dribble down the interior and it is coming from the stated area. It's the next *problem*
    ha ha. I like this accord.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    OK, friends. An update here on my leak problems. I got the time
    to chase some things down today and I've put some stuff up on
    87accord.com. http://87accord.com/fixleak.html
    It's a fresh fix at this time, I'm waiting for everything to set up alittle bit before I get out the hose and see if I got the source fixed, and put the fender back on. Have a good weekend, everybody. Doug

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series
    is there something like that in the diver side. i mean the pics u showed us DOUG. because i have water coming in but dont know were. its in the diver side. just the diver side. u think that could be it.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    You are on the right track.
    Bill

DX User
    Originally posted by doug
    OK, friends. An update here on my leak problems. I got the time
    to chase some things down today and I've put some stuff up on
    87accord.com. http://87accord.com/fixleak.html
    It's a fresh fix at this time, I'm waiting for everything to set up alittle bit before I get out the hose and see if I got the source fixed, and put the fender back on. Have a good weekend, everybody. Doug
    please let us know if the problem has been fixed... I have that leak on both sides!!

Also, do you think this area can be accesses any other way than by removing the fender? I doubt my fender will come off without a fight.
    WTB: 4th and 5th gen OEM headlights and corners in good shape. Even single lights.

1995 Honda Accord EX-R | 1988 Honda Accord EX-i | 1987 Honda Accord LX (R.I.P.)

LXi User
    Vehicle
    yes, that stopped my leak.