Thread: Electrical: HELP PLEASE!!!

Vehicle
    1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 1989 Sei(Project Honda SVX)

Electrical: HELP PLEASE!!!

Here's the deal... I've been having alternator problems for a while...(I'm going to midas tomorrow)....Last May, I had my alternator replaced at Midas...Then when I was driving cross country to nebraska.... the alternator mounting bolt busted...in Illinois... So I got it repaired at a mom n' pop shop.... Got it to omaha and took it back to midas....They put in a new alternator(this was in august).... And I drove it off the lot.... I shoulda took it back that day...cause when I'd rev it up the alternator light would come on....but everything was workin' ok....
    So the other nite...I leave my house and i'm out in the counrty were there aint no lights...n my headlights quite working.... Then my cigrette lighter quite... needless to say I was pretty fucked...but I got someone out there and followed them home..... I've come to find out that my power mirriors don't work, nor does my cruise control... i've check all the fuses and they appear to be in good condition.... Today when I took the car to wash it... I killed the battery when I left the music playin...We push started it....But it didn't charge the battery at all.... Then on the way home my stereo kept cuttin on and off when i'd push and release the gas.... And when the stereo would play... My amp would cut out....and the speakers would sound all jacked up.....
    Sorry it's so long but I wanted to tell the whole story....any help or suggestions would help....
    Thanx..
    Jade

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    hows the belt? does it have proper deflection? hmm hows the condition of your ground straps and other electrical connections? ....also how is the condition of your battery?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Good Question

Electical isn't my thing, but I did have the same problem only different vehicle.
    Alternator bad even if it was replaced, can still be bad. Stator, Diodes or could just be that they did not secure the wires to alternator correctly this is always a possiblity when you have other people do the work. Just takes more of your time. Take it to one of those parts stores that can test the alternator on the car. I just did my Alt and it was a pain to do. So take it back to Midas if they did change the Alt, if they didn't and only changed the bolt again then the Alts bad. LOL
    Hope this helps.
    NSWST8

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx
    if you rev the car and the charging light comes on i would say its the alternator ... put a multimeter or a battery tester on it .... do a charging test .
    Jay

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    sounds like your alt sucks... bad reman. If i were you id just put an alt in it (or have midas... if theyll actually do it right) and check your grounds etc...

get a volt meter, you should have AT LEAST 12 volts with the car off and it should jump to no less than 13.5 with the car running.

if the voltage is really low with the car off but high with the car on you need a new batt. If it stays almost the same voltage with the car on or off the alternator is at fault, check the belt tension and the charge wire before you take it in.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i
    Your main relay might be bad that control the main power
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 1989 Sei(Project Honda SVX)
    K...I finally got the in the shop and back....This is the deal....
    I got the alternator done for free....labor and all...But the guy at midas wouldn't look at the electrical.... So all that stuff still does not work.... I don't know to much about electrical...So where is the main relay.... If I need to figure this out asap...it gets dark at 6 here....so it really happers evening activities.....
    All help is appreciated..
    Thanx,
    JiGaBu

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    yeah its the altenator.....they just wanted some quick cash so they put it in backwards

My 1989 LX Carb. A.K.A. "Hoop Ride" (R.I.P.)

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    it is alternator. don't take it to midas, take it somewhere where you can trust people, or do it yourself.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    I don't understand how it's that alternator..... It is working fine now.... My subs don't cut out and the alt. light hasn't come on.... But the mirriors, cruise, and cig. lighter and headlights still don't work.... I'm going to take it to the shop of a friend of my parents if I don't figure it out by tomorrow.....
    Thanx guys
    JiGaBu