Thread: I Want to lower car

DX User

I Want to lower car

What is a good setup to lower my Accord? I want to use coilovers and I need to know what strut would be good to use. Also...does the stock rear use struts as well?

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    1. where are you located?
    2. the only practical choice is Lowboyz from www.truckn-store.com

you will have to modify these a bit when you recive them if you want to lower over 1.5 inches in teh front...

i have a set for sale... all ready to go.. ready to bolt on, you can slam your car almost to the ground... PM me if your interested

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    87 LX
    You could use revalved Bilstein shocks, but they are not cheap.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    You could use revalved Bilstein shocks, but they are not cheap.
    That's for god damn sure. $107 a piece for the strut and $55 a piece for the re-valve. Don't forget shipping too. I ended getting 10 bucks off each strut when I bought them but still.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Ford work Van
    just take the springs out....

I would do groundcontrol coilover sleeves with a set of revalved Bilstein struts to match
    sorry guys v8's rule

Vehicle
    88 accord lx-i coupe 5sp.
    dropzone coil overs are way too bouncy, dont git em
    -Brian
    -"lifes a bitch,i swear to god, you take your chances, too many questions and not enuogh answers!"-nappy roots

My Accord

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    the coilovers arent bouncy... having struts that are now blown are what makes it bouncy!

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

DX User
    DXHatch,
    I am in North Carolina...my next question was going to be if it would be a bad thing to use the stock struts...I am guessing that would be a bad thing...it would be temporary until I can get better ones...does Tokico make them for the 3gee?

Scott

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    The Tokico struts for our cars are only about 10% stiffer than stock. They are not meant for use with stiff lower springs/coilovers. Using stock struts will leave you with a bouncy, unsettled ride that will get worse as the stiff springs overwork your struts. Using Tokicos will not be much better than stock. Bilstiens, which would need to be revalved for your spring rates, or Konis can control stiffer lowering springs. I don't know much about the Lowboyz kit that DXhatchback has, but it might be just what you're looking for.
    Mike

DX User
    Lowboyz offers two different coilover kits. One for $239 and one for $89. Does anybody know the difference?

Just a side note here and it took me a minute to realize but my ex-girlfriend use to work at Aim Industries (Lowboyz). She tells me that they make a lot of they're own parts on site and that they are of real good quality.
    Last edited by whyterice; 01-17-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    hmm, i wanna lower my accord too. im working on getting money together and get it done. dont know how much to lower it, it has prelude 14s that im stickin with, maybe i put on my 13s once in a while for racing. im thinkin 1 1/2 in drop or 2 in, i dont want to be scraping, but along with new springs should come new shocks and struts. mine are 17 years old, so i think i would be having some problems like my friends did with his when he lowered it the first time.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

DX User
    <bump>
    Can anyone explain the difference between coilovers and getting lowering springs? Pros and Cons? $89 for springs sounds better than $150 for coilovers.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Quote Originally Posted by whyterice
    <bump>
    Can anyone explain the difference between coilovers and getting lowering springs? Pros and Cons? $89 for springs sounds better than $150 for coilovers.
    Coilovers are springs with threaded sleeves that let you change you car's ride height (usually stock to 3-4" lower) or corner-balance your car for more consistent handling. Since these springs can let the car sit so low they are frequently stiffer than standard coil springs to avoid bottoming out with less suspension travel available. Specific spring rates are listed in a sticky in this section.
    Mike